1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My New Fender American Standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Winston TK, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Very recently, I decided that my EBMM Stingray5 just wasn't doing it for me. There are a number of reasons for this, but none of them have to do with the bass itself. It's a long story.

But, the short version is that I traded it in for a brand new 2009 Fender American Standard Precision Bass in Olympic White with a tort guard.

This bass is absolutely AMAZING! Buying this is one of the smartest things I have ever done.

I'll have more to say about this in the future, I'm sure. But for now, here are a couple of pics. They were taken at a gig my band was doing at a record store last weekend here in Vancouver, BC.

Attached Files:

2. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Congrats. The rave of the 08+ MIA's is stunning!!!

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Different basses work for different people, and i'm glad that you found what works for you!

What kind of band are you in? You're a sharp dressed man for sure!

4. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    The band is called THE TOMORROWS. We're a power-pop band heavily influenced by groups such as The Beatles (we all wear suits and ties at the moment), Badfinger, The Raspberries, Big Star with smatterings of somewhat more modern artists like Matthew Sweet and Teenage Fanclub.

Here is the full band:

Attached Files:

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    WOW! I was thinking something like a Beatles cover band, but wasn't sure.

I bet that P bass fits better both visually and sonically in that mix than the Stingray did.

6. love your music... in your pics on myspace it looks like your playing a 70's jazz bass?

7. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Actually, I never played the Ray with this band. It just wasn't the right sound. I used the Ray for other projects I'm involved with at the moment.

Jimmy, thanks for the kind words about our music. And, you're quite right -- my main workhorse up until now has been my trusty black Geddy Lee Jazz. But, when our guitarists both decided to get brand new white guitars very recently, I refused to be outdone! (Heh heh.) Now, with both Fender basses in the lineup, the band is really rocking!

8. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Thats the best combo those come in, nice P !

9. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Sick bass...reminds me of a bass I got this year...:)
    l_69cf1d27f4de4c188c807851fa3165b5.

10. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I've been playing a 08 MIA P since April. I walked into the store to buy a cord, and walked out with a bass! Upon getting it home (and justifying the purchase with my wife), I strung it up with TIJF's, but was a bit disappointed in the lack of attack. I threw on a set of chromes, and thought I'd swap out the pup for a Fralin or SD Antiquities later. Almost 6 months later, and the chrome/mia pup combo has really grown on me.

The 08+ MIA's are a really special. Lightweight, incredibly resonant, beautiful fretwork, and the neck feels just about perfect on the P. Destined to be classics for sure!

GK Powered Funk!.
    jd's.

11. Aragorn35016

Aragorn35016

Jul 3, 2004
    Arab, Al.
    While in the middle of a trade for my US 57 reissue P I played one of these as well, the one I played had a great feel and played fantastic at the store, (which in my experience almost all new fenders have to be setup straight from the store!) If I could justify a 3rd P bass it would have went home with me!!

12. Damn you all! Just as I'm fighting off a nasty GAS attack for the sunburst model that's just turned up in the local Fender dealer you do this to me!