Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Fender Baby

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brooks, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Scored a nice Fender Precision Special on eBay - PJ setup with Lace Sensor pups, Jazz-type neck (1.5" at the nut), and an unusual Fender Custom Shop paint job.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    More pics

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Nice! I really like that finish...

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    And one more. Burst is smooth..not sure why it doesn't look that way on the pic.

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Wow, nice bass. That's a very nice paint job.

Does it sound as good as it looks?

Travis

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    This Precision Special is diff. from the ones I have seen elsewhere - It has a pickup Selector switch and a push-button phase switch (factory installed both). This means I can solo the P pup or the J pup (no pup balance pot).

J pup nails down the Jazz sound 100%. P pup is a bit weak for my taste - I am used to active basses and G&L, so I will probably pop in a QuarterPounder. the two pups together give a really nice, balanced sound that can be used for a lot of stuff. Another thing that I like is that it is pretty light. All in all, took a chance (buying off eBay), and got lucky.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you pop in a QP for the P make sure you keep the Lace Sensor around in case you change your mind. IMO the Lace Sensor is a much better pickup than a QP would be, I wouldn't dream of changing it out.

Speaking of which I have a practical question, that push pull mode (parallel/series?) switch is a function that should only be available on the Lace Sensor P pickup. How do you like the different sounds you get from that pickup soloed when switching. I ask because I have a Lace Sensor in my P copy and I am thinking of installing that switch. Mine is hardwired parallel (*I think :oops: )

Nice bass!

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    whoa that color is awesome,like silver-blue.the finish looks like its from ibanez called EDC i think,like a graphit finish.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    If I were you, I'd never bother installing it. I run it in Series mode all the time - parallel mode is much quiter, without any real difference in sound.

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    It's actually a SilverBurst metallic. Dark grey inside, silver outside, really nicely done.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Nice, I dig that color. Looks like the heavey-duty bridge with the fine tuners, like found on the Precision Elites. The headstock tuners, if they are the same as on the Elite models, are high quality, heavy-duty tuners also.

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The fine-tuners kind blow IMO... Did some setup work on one of these for a friend a few months back and removed them completely... Fine-tuners??? It's a BASS, for pete's sake! While the bass wasn't exactly my cup of tea, it was very nice indeed. I'm also a fan of the finish on Brooks' bass. I'm curious as to who the seller was... Seems that the same white rug was featured in the auction for my MusicMaster...

-robert

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have two Precision Elites with the fine tuner bridges. I never use them, although I have never had any setup problems with them. My point is... it is a nicer, better quality, more heavy-duty bridge than the standard Fender bridge from the early eighties (or any other time period). Same goes for the headstock tuners also.

14. If you like that bass, i have a Fender Jazz Bass Plus, it's quite similar to yours. It has the exact same finish, two fender lace sensor J pups(a four-way rotary switch[passive, active, active with mid boost, and bypass]), nice hardware. I'm actually going to sell it soon, in order to get a nice DP Custom:D

Well, anyways, congrats, you got a steal, fantastic bass.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Very nice. I have a '93 American P Deluxe, also with Lace Sensors, and the fine-tune bridge. It has the same tuning pegs, but no pick guard. No pickup switch, either. One of the stacked knobs is a blend. This has the Kubicki electronics in it, too.

[​IMG]

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    We should talk about that Jazz Plus - would be nice to have a matching pair :)

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Seller was jimhaskett@attbi.com

18. Great looking bass! I really love the color,I bet it is much nicer in person.

19. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    That's the same guy! He's local here in Portland, so I saved on shipping and picked it up in person... Great seller to deal with...

I totally agree that the bridge is definitely a step-up in design for those that prefer a heavier duty bridge. Removing the fine-tuners really involved nothing more than unscrewing four thumbscrews... Didn't affect the setup at all.

-robert

20. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yeah, Jim was great to work with - very smooth transaction, and he did a great job of packing the bass. In my case, that bass flew something like 8000 miles before it reached me!

Re. the bridge, I like it, and the thumbscrews don't bother me at all. Plus, I like to be able to intonate for new/different strings without having to pull out my gig bag and search for the right screwdriver or the allen key.