1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new Fender Precision Lyte :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by derrenleepoole, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Just picked it up yesterday. A really beauty. Had to sell my Aria Sinisonido to help pay for it, but certainly worth it. It's the 1996 50th anniversary edition. Don't normally go for Fenders, but the all natural finish and weight was too irresistable.

Precision Lyte 1.
    Precision Lyte 2.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Nice! Mahogany?

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I remember when that bass came out. That was one of the lightest, nicest playing basses I had played at the time. Its still an old favorite of mine. Nice job!

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Is that a Lyte or a Zone?

Reason I ask is that I have a Lyte...it doesn't have the humbucker in the bridge...just a standard jazz p-up.

And yours looks like it has a 3 band eq.... I thought the Lytes only came with 2 bander's.

Either way...that's one nice looking bass you've got there. Enjoy it.

5. It's a Lyte alright. Not sure what a Zone is. I imagine they did variations on different models for certain Countries, the Lyte being no exception. I could be wrong about that though as I'm no expert on Fenders.

Precision Lyte 3.

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I believe that is the MIA Lyte Deluxe. I had a MIJ Lyte, and currently have a Zone, and they both have p/j.

7. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Zone is the newer version of the lyte. Same body shape, same light weight, but there are some differences too. They make two versions, MIM and MIA. The MIM has p/j pickups and three band EQ, with an alder body, and MIA Deluxe bridge, plus Gotoh tuners. The MIA has walnut and mahogony body with soapbar pickups and 18v three band EQ.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=basses&cat=zonebass

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'd say that you've got somewhat of a rare find then...always thought the Lytes were just P/J's and the Zones were the ones with the humbucker.

Again...very nice bass. I love my Lyte. Light body and very fast, skinny neck!

9. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    This bass is a MIJ P Lyte Deluxe. I have the same bass but upgraded the neck pup to SD APB-1. Killer sound for all styles.

10. oo man congrats, i bet thats where they based their new zone basses off of

11. I always associate Mahogony with Gibson Les Pauls, not really with basses... You dont tend to see it used as much. Whats it like as a tonewood?

I bet it thumps quite nicely with a P configuration?

12. Beautiful bass, Sir. I'll bet the pictures doen't really do it any justice either.

Nice score! :cool:

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Very nice, it's used in Wals, and they sound amazing!

14. Ah, I didnt realise its what Wal used. I've had the chance to hear a Wal mark 2 (I think thats the model?) up close when a local band played and its sounded fantastic - very clear highs and tight mids.

15. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Mmmm.. I have a Nordstrand Jazz with a Mahogany body and its so sweet. I LOVE mahogany bodies because of their warm tone, but I never liked P-basses much because of their dark tone. However... I think I'd go for a P-Bass with a mahogany body just for kicks.
    Ive never seen such a Fender before, though. Congratulations on that purchase!

16. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thunderbirds are mahogany, as are most Gibson basses. Very warm, dark sounding wood.

17. Nice bass Derren, I also have this anniversary model MIJ. Bought it used 4 years ago. It has the greatest neck and it is light indeed, very comfortable. Luv the sound of those P p/u's. This model has several upgrades the other Lyte models don't like the extra eq and striped mahogany body.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    A couple of months ago I ran a live sound gig for a guy named Aalon. Remember him? His bass player plays one of those. That thing sounds as good as it looks. I was impressed.

He even let my daughter play it when we were loading out the gear. She loved it. It felt as light as her Ibanez and way lighter than her old Jazz bass.

Cool bass.

19. That is a fender?!?!? Best looking fender that I have ever seen.

lowsound

20. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, high praise indeed :) Just one thing, what does MIA stand for? Told you I was not a Fender boffin.

Got to give the new bass a thorough run through in band practice last night. Man what a sound. So clear and crisp. Nice rounded low end, tight bright high end...... and the harmonics :hyper: This is the first time I've ever really invested in a good quality bass before. Okay, it's second hand, but you know what I mean? Been playing 16 years too. Never ever paid more than £200 for a bass. Wish I'd invested much sooner. All I now need is a good amp upgrade :rolleyes: Money, money, money... This forum is bad for the wallet ;)

All I now need to do is name her.....