Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new FMT !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Jun 14, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Hi Folks,

Finally got it...pic attached...

Thumbs up on the color, fit and finish, and tone totally kills! There is a SLIGHT hum even with both pickups set to equal blend...anyone else have this?

Also, truss rod is as tight as it will go, won't turn any farther...I lowered my action about 5 turns down from the factory setup...and the frets above the 16th fret require extra delicate touch in order to not have the strings buzz out (to the point where they stop vibrating altogether)...I tried shimming the neck, but instead of at the heel, I put the shim more towards the nut inside the joint, but that made it so I had to lower the G string saddle all the way to achieve low action, and then the problems came back again in the upper frets as I lowered the strings down to compensate for the shim..any ideas how I can get this buzzing down? I am thinking that I may need to just get some of those upper frets filed down a tad. Anyone else?

http://www.peterduncan.net/FMT.jpg

(edges and back are more of a maroon/crimson color, not black like it sh ows in this pic).

-pd

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    What will they say in the newgroups? Peter Duncan bought a Fender.....

3. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I would take it to the shop and have a tech go over the entire thing. Fender doesn't do any detailing type work...its beautiful bass by the way. I didn't know they made FMTs are 4 string version, I've only seen 5s in Musician's Friend. I might have to get one sometime because I don't own a jazz.

4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    It seems like the 21st fret is the culprit...as I you get close to it from about the 18th fret up, it gets progressively buzzier, then the 22nd fret is clear as a bell (of course, there aren't any frets after that)..but the bass plays fine from the 12th-17th frets. One would expect ALL the frets in that region to buzz out if were an issue of needing to straighten the neck more.

-pd

5. Hey welcome to the club - I love my 5'er, especially now that I know there's nothing wrong with it. I didnt have any of the setup problems you had at all - although I did have the shop where I bought it do a full set-up for me upon arrival. You definitely shouldnt need a shim, IMHO.

Jam it!

Greg

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's the best FMT I've seen so far, Peter! Love the color. And, personally, I think it looks better as a 4 string than a 5. Excellent axe!

7. Looks great, Peter! Congrats.

Hope you get the action where you like it.

Jeff

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Brendan ~

Really?

DiN ~

What was the final scoop on yours? Mine hasn't acted up since that once.

[​IMG]

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Really?

Really yes, I like it better than yours (;)) or Really I think it looks better as a 4?

In the case of the latter, I just think that the 5 version just seems kinda...wonky to me. Especially the headstock. 4+1 on a Fender just looks wrong. And, as a matter of personal asthetics, I think it looks more balanced as a 4 banger.

10. I got the same kullah as you, but mine won't be here till Monday. Can't wait, though! Should go well with this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Well if it doesn't, you can always send either one to me. :D ;)

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow!!:D

Sweet bass Peter. I reheheally like that color on them. And I kind of agree with Brendan, too. I do think that they look a bit better as a 4 string.

13. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I originally wanted the tobacco sunburst with the quilt maple top, but I like this finish better...

Now, I haven't had a bass with a truss in sometime now...it is normal/acceptable to have the truss at the point where you can't tighten it anymore? This makes me nervous. What if the neck warps more? I already think I need it a tad straighter, and I can't do it...would you guys return a bass if it was like this? If I do return it I will pick one like it again, but I am a little clueless here.

Thanks!

-pd

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can yank the chain, but it doesn't mean the anchor's comin' up!

15. :D :D

16. I would have a problem with any bass if I couldn't adjust the neck the way I want it.

I'd take it back...

Jeff

17. So this is the cherry finish and not the tobacco?

Oh...sorry, I just read where you said that the edges look black in the photo but not in real life. The one I ordered is tuh-backey, but I like the cherry one too.

18. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Yes Jeff, unfortunately, I love this bass's look and tone, but I t hink I am going to return it and get another one...I think the the truss needs to be straightened a bit more on this and I have a hunch that the person that set it up knew this as well...I see quite a bit of teeth marks where the truss rod adjuster goes before I even played the bass...looks like the worked hard on it to straighten the neck enough, and now it is pegged. Oh well...

I am amazed though, the bass actually has ver little fret buzz...when I get the action where I want it down low, it feels and sounds GREAT. Exactly what I was going for.

-pd

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice looking bass, but I like Munjibunga quilt. AWESOME!!!!!! I hope the place you bought it from dosen't try to shift blame to you & not return the bass!!!! I've seen that happen too often. :(

20. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Yes...the bass actually looks more like that Sadowsky the other gentleman put up there. I will for sure get tis color again once I get a replacement bass (truss rod is maxed out).

-pd