1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new Focus 2R III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humabass, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Played my first gig with my new Focus 2R III last night and am VERY happy! I was a little traumatized when I packed up my Eden WT550 and sent it away. I've owned 7 Eden heads over the years and while also owning many of the other big names (Aguilar,Demeter, Euphonic Audio,etc.) I kept coming back to Edens. But I felt I wanted more clarity and definition on live gigs. I was really amazed at my sound last night. I was using my Epifani 210UL (4 ohm) and was playing with a loud variety band. I've never been able to hear myself better on stage. I had some PA support but about 75% came from my rig. One thing I was concerned about due to some prior discussions here was a potential lack of punch from the Focus compared to the Eden but I actually had great punch and the low end was amazingly tight and controlled. Top end was clear and clean with no harshness or sterility which I was particularly concerned with going from tube pre to solid state. I used my Lakland 4-94 with ash/maple top body and ebony board and my new/used Valenti 4 string with alder body,pau ferro board and Sadowsky electronics. The Valenti's low end punch was just amazing. I'm also very happy with the onboard effects. They sound great and are voiced very nicely although it would be cool to have them footswitchable. All in all, a great little amp!

2. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    :crying: It's so sad when no one responds to a post. I'm ....so...lonely.......

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Sympathy post. :p

I got a chance to use one of their combo amps with my Sterling once, I was very impressed with the sound. First time I've heard real transparency.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hugh-

I agree that the Focus is a terrific amp, especially with the Epifani UL stuff. The best part is that you don't have to be loud to hear yourself. With the Eden I always felt like I was turning up. The Focus is so clear that I never needed a ton of volume to get through a dense mix or a bad room. I have been trying other things and coming back to these amps since 2000-2001. What kind of gig was it?

W

5. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I call it a variety band but that's probably not a good definition. Motown,modern rock,reggae,classic rock,funk. Two loud guitarists and a loud drummer at local medium sized Irish pub. It's taken me many years to finally realize/accept the living room vs gig phenomenon. Love the sound of the Eden at home but I had the same experience as you in that I kept turning up the Eden so I could hear myself on a gig.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Yup, it's true. The Eden is much prettier by itself, but that big phat low end is a bad thing when you need to hear yourself. You could add another 210UL and get her down to 2ohms, which I think the amp will do (?)

W

7. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    +1
    :bag:

8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I haven't A/Bed my Focus w/many amps, but there was one gig a couple months ago where I used the house rig (GK 700RB into a Hartke 410xl) for the sound check and swapped the head out for the Focus on the gig. The room wasn't great sounding and at the soundcheck I was getting either mud or clank from the GK. At the gig with the focus the sound was as the say 'much more, well, focused'. I wouldn't say it was night and day but the Focus definitely sounded better - warmer mids and highs, tighter bottom.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just got my series III 2R yesterday, but at rehearsal last night I noticed that it was at least as warm as the series II Focus, but somehow much more articulate at the same time. Whatever they did, it sounds great. :hyper:

10. Congratulations! Indeed this one is GREAT within it's tight smallness.
    Have lots of more fun with it.

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Hmm...I went from a Focus back to an Eden. Different strokes...

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Aww man, I was so close to getting one of these amps. After reading all of the reviews about it, I still couldn't believe it could do such a good job since it is so small. In the end, I went with an iAMP800. Now, I'm itchin' to buy one again!

-Mike

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    when i'm feelin' a little lazy, i'll gladly carry my little epifani/focus II setup.

and for some odd reason, i too found the sadowsky is just awesome w/ epifani gear, too.

congrats on a killer little rig.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    so did not need to read that... :meh:

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ...then you won't want to hear that I didn't have to pay for it, either, as I bought it with the proceeds from the sale of my iAmp800 and some other old gear I don't use anymore. :D

All I've got left is two Focuses (Foci?), two VL208's, and two VL108's. Tom Bowlus I am not!

16. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I played my second gig with the Focus on Sunday morning in Church. Big stage, high dollar PA system, two guitars, keys, drums, and seven singers. Used my Epi 210UL, Valenti Jazz with Sadowsky electronics, and Lakland 4-94 fretless. The soundman loved the sound of my stage rig so much that he mixed in just a little PA support. I've also noticed with the AI stuff that my fretless really sings more than it did through the Eden. I will tell you, though, that I do miss my Eden at home...when it's just the two of us....alone...in front of the firepla.....uh nevermind.