Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I've owned them before and said I would never own another. I guess I lied:D I plyed this one and had to have it. It has a ton of growl and punch from the walnut core ebony top, the exact tone I love. I've wanted a Fodera for years and after finally buying one last year, while it was a great bass and played fantastic, it just didn't have the tone I was wanting. I know it was just the wood combination, ash body, buckeye top, ebony board, that was the problem. But, because of the price I wasn't about to have Fodera build one of different woods and still not know it would have the tone I was wanting. When I saw this one come up with walnut body which is the same wood used on my main bass that happens to be the best sounding bass I've ever played, I was a bit curious. I played this one and confirmed walnut is for me. Here's the pics:) I never thought ebony would be tough to photograph but it is. But you'll get the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Congrats!! Thats a very nice looking Fodera!
    I still have the Emperor Elite 5 that I had built for me in 2000. It has an Alder body. Its a very nice bass. I have had the bass
    for 3 years(I have sold 2 other Fodera's).
    Three years is a record for me. I think i'll keep her.

Dan

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sweet! Yeah, that striped ebony is a bit tricky to photo.

What's the fingerboard? What kind of pickups? When can we expect sound clips? :D

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks for the comments! The fingerboard is kingwood. The pickups are Aero's which up until this bass I didn't like either. But they sound really good in this bass. I'll try to get some clips soon.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    very nice ! congrats...
    Didn't you recently build a single cut yourself ? If so I would like to talk to you about the heel carving you did on that.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    There's an ebony/walnut BSR6EG on Ebay right now. Very nice looking.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That is such a beautiful bass man I'm sure it sounds absolutely great. I love walnut as a body wood, yours really has me gassing for the one being built for me! Congrats. :)

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thank you very much, Jared. I now have a combination of basses that totally suit me. Not saying I won't buy another bass but can say that I've never played better bass than the two below.
    [​IMG]

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nice! What kind of tone does kingwood have? Is it close to rosewood?

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That is a killer looking smith! Very cool...Im jealous!

11. man, not to take the thunder away from your fodera purchase (which is sweet btw), but with a smith like that one, why do you need a fodera in the first place? :) put another string on that smith and you're there man! :p

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Congrats on the new Fodera, Pete! :D Can't go wrong with a Fodera and a Smith. I've got a fretless Fodera 6 and a fretted Smith 6 that go together like bread and butter. Lotta value to haul on a gig but that's what they're for, I say. :cool:

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Actually, I don't disagree with you, I don't need a fodera, I wanted one:D It's hard to say if the Fodera will take over the number one spot. But the great thing is that they sound quite a bit different but share a similar growl that will work in any situation. I think they will play nice together;)

Jared, with the basses you own/owned, I can understand your jealousy.:D

Boogie, I agree totally. Thanks!

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ouch. Is that a cut there buddy? :p

I happen to love my northern ash/maple Garrison which is saying a lot since I normally am not a huge fan of that vibe.

15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    No cuts:) I think your Garrison looks great. I'm glad you decided to keep it and not get the Beast. I struggled with my decision on whether to get an Imperial or the Emperor. I really like the Imperial shape and considered having Fodera build one with the same woods as my Emperor. The draw back of coures was the long wait and the very real possiblity that it wouldn't sound as good as the one that I had a chance to play before I bought. Also, in the long run, I'm still more of a double-cut sort of guy.

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I was able to play the bass at band practice this evening and then at the studio tonight and it performed incredibly. Great sounding live and recorded, what more could I want:)

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...hey, I recognize that bass!!!!

;)

Glad she found a good home!

:D

18. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Sweet bass.

Congrats.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's beautiful, and weighs only 41 pounds.

20. Great catch! Congrats!!

Jeff