My new fretles...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Listen, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I just ripped a pawn shop off, I got a Fender MIM Fretless for $125! I've had it inspected by a few local musicians, and it's in great condition, it's midnight wine, the serial number is MN8158126. I'll post pics as soon as possible...

One question though, how do I boost the "mwah"? It has some "mwah", but it lacks. Help me!
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Lower the action...

Nice score by the way...

P.s. You are ignoring the mandatory pic rule!
  3. Listen

May 19, 2002
    -I did

-Thank You

-I'm sorry....:(
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    See! There's deals to be found in pawns! Which one did you get it from?
  5. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Do you know where waukegan is? It's a north from chicago. It's in a strip mall on the side of the road. In big red letters it says PAWN SHOP. They only have one bass left, it's a nice old tobias, but they have a lot of nice stuff in there for really cheap!
  6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I know Waukegan - I'm out near Elgin.

A Tobias, eh? What kinda money?
  7. Is it right across the street from the restaurant named "EAT"?

Anyway, sounds like a nice score. $ 125.00 is worth the gamble on a pawn shop bass, I hope it works out for you.
  8. Listen

May 19, 2002
    about 500, but they can be talked down easily. I talked them down from 190 to 125.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Do you know the model and year of the Tobias?
  10. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Don't know a whole lot about Tobias, but it has chrome hardware, too many knobs for my taste, natural finish, it is in great playing condition, it has a bit of wear were your wrist would be on the body. I think it's worth it, it plays great, if you go, bring a tuner or something because they're all out of tune and it's eaier to tell the right tone of something if it's in tune. If your into g*****s, they have tons of them, they have this really sweet Fender Mustang.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    SWEEET deal. $125 for a 98 Mexi Jazz Fretless. Even though the only 4 string i play right now is an upright for that price i'd go for it if i had saw it.

N8 = 98. I learned that from the fender forum. I don't know how to figure anything else out by serial number though. :D thats all
  12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Go for it! I'm all tapped out after my Steinberger, and want to get a new neck for my Jazz first.
  13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I bet it's a Toby, not a Tobias. $500 is way too low!

Nice score, regardless! For a 4 year old MIM, it's actually about the going price for used ones, at least around here. If it's in good condition, nice score! :D
  14. trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    Okay, so hurry it up with the mandatory pics. And be sure to let us know when you unbury that bass amp that you eyeballed, too. :D
  15. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Sorry guys I've been in Red Lake Minnisota for a week, but I'm back with sound clips and pictures are on the way!

The sound clip is just a riff a came up with, and it's a poor recording doesn't do the "mwah" very good justice, but I am surprised at how much I get out of it.

EDIT: anybody have any space for a sound clip?
  16. You should also try changing the strings. If you have flatwounds on there, you're going to get more fundamental (or thump) and not much sustain (and overtones).

Try putting new nickelwound round wounds on there, plus lowering the action. That should help.
  17. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I have enough "mwah" thank you, as soon as I get the sound clip up, you'll see.
  18. Pawn shop instruments are beautiful women waiting to be untied from the train tracks.

I'm assuming you're using flatwounds, yes? Perhaps different brands of flatwounds will yield differing quantities of mwah.