1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new fretless bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geoffkhan, Apr 23, 2006.

1. It's actually not a new bass, it's my old bass which I defretted. I recently got a brand new Schecter Elite-4 bass, which has awesome tone, awesome action (haven't had to adjust the action yet, it's just right for me!), and looks really nice, too. The bass I used before was a cheapo Fender Squire P-bass. I had upgraded it with active EMG pickups (which made it sound SO much better), and had spent a long time getting the action just right. So now that I got a new bass, I decided to go fretless with the Squire.

Did the whole routine (thanks to some informative threads here!), taking out the frets was easy, using fingernail clippers (no wood splinters occurred or anything, it was a smooth operation). Then I filled the gaps where the frets were with wood filler. Sanded that down, starting with heavier sandpaper and moving to lighter sandpaper until it was a smooth surface. After putting four coats of varnish on top of that, my fretless was now ready. (I kept the roundwounds I used before, so it was expecially important to put these layers on the fretboard)

This is the result:

http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/continuum.mp3

Apologies to people who actually know this song, I was just playing by ear, since it was the most obvious first melody to play on fretless. Just quickly set up the action, so it's really rough, it'll take some more work, but I like to think I got a decent amount of mwah considering the bass has P pickups (no bridge pickup).

2. Pics or it doesn't exist.

3. Well, until I have time to take a good picture of the fretless, you can check out a pic of new bass:

bass.

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    eww that sound horrible

5. IT'S THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!