Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Fretless SC 5 being built

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Barrett, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Well you all saw my amazing Brazilian top Fretted a month ago and heres my Fretless being built for NAMM this summer.

Its an SC Set-neck 5 Chambered with Holly Top and Macc Ebony back with matching top and back headstock caps. Benavente preamp with Benavente Slim and Wide pickup configuration. Swiss Pear neck and White Korina body core. And to top it all off Snake Wood Finger board!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: next to it is a Burl Redwood top and back for BlueBerry Hill that looks killer!

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    PSS:

Happy Father's day to everyone....... !

3. Impressive pics. Who builds the bass for you?
    What electronics (pickups/preamp) will you use?

:bassist:

4. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    hahahha

He builds himself the bass; Benevente guitars

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--Brian doesn't build his own basses. I'm pretty sure he leaves it up to Chris. :D

He does take a helluva picture, though.

I can't wait to see it at NAMM in July! I promise not to leave too much drool on it. :bassist:

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

Correct its a Benavente, but Chris builds the bases. I just do the electronic and pickup R&D work as well as some Instrument design R&D. But Chris does all the actual building. This is a fretless I wanted built with the white Holly top and the Snakewood board.

7. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    wow, ive been dreaming of a holly topped bass. thats going to be a class act.

8. Well, if you check Brian's site, he has several luthiers that build basses for him. :D

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Benavente SC threads make me so sad... November is SOOOOOOO far away it seems. :meh: :rollno:

Awesome bass Brian, you really know how to pick them!!! :D

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    sign of a true luthier...

GIRLIE CALENDAR!!!!!!!

f

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Nice! So, what's the deal with Swiss pear as a neck wood? What's it compare to, soundwise? It makes for a nice look, at least. :) Something a little different.

12. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    Thank you Brian for the pics. Tell Cris that he's blowing my :bassist: mind. My bass is a little naked right now , but after I get her
    some clothes at Saks Fifth Avenue, I'll be back. Al :hyper:

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    The calendar was just one of those things. I've had it happen to me..... you walk into the book store to get a new calendar at the beginning of the year and its down to the swim suite calendar or the animal calendar..... hmmmmmm :D

The Swiss Pear is great and equally as strong as maple. Swiss Pear is usually stained and found in string instruments like Cello’s, etc. Has a wonderful resonant. My SC 5 Brazilian also has Swiss Pear in it. Pear can mimic Ebony in its properties as well but has a pinkish brown color to it. Its super smooth feeling!
    [​IMG]

Al
    Yes your Quilted 9 string is quite amazing witht he quilted finger board and top. I can't wait to see it complete.

Joe
    I'll let you touch my fretless at NAMM if you come :D

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    WOW!!! :D That redwood burl SC is REALLY coming along nicely. :hyper: Not only will it look incredible, but I know that it will sound and play just as good....if not better. Looking forward to checking all of these Bennies out at summer NAMM. ;) It looks like there will be a lot of very unique, interesting, and stellar basses at the Benavente booth this year once again.

15. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

Pics of that 9?? :)

16. LOL :D

Brian - beautiful bass. can't wait to see if finished. That holly top should be very classy!

Jeff

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :spit: :smug: :D

18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Yea, heres Al C's 9 string Chambered Quilt monster set-neck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is a 7 string Vortex set-neck being built for SleekElite

[​IMG]

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmmmm, is the neck on the Blueberry Hill bass glued together horizontally?

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

No, it’s the B-type neck design. A neck design I came up with a number of years ago that is super strong and hardly moves at all. Its actually built in a pyramid design construction. Something Chris has adopted in his construction neck options.

Here is Tad's bass with B-type necks. The design goes from finger board down. Finger board, 3 pc wenge and then 2 pc maple. The 2 pc maple back covers the 3 pc wenge adding strength to the seams of the wenge and the neck as a whole. I'm curious as to when someone will try and copy this design because anyone that has had or played a bass with this design knows its amazing!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is another that Chris went a little wild with and added a few more lam's to. This is Coco bola board and then 3 pc maple and 2 pc maple with maple and ebony little lam's separating everything.

[​IMG]