Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new fretless Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Just bought a '00 fretless MM Stingray in honey burst, white PG from a local TB'er (thanks that one guy). The thing was immaculate. However, I do have one problem with it: I can't get my hands off it. :D

[​IMG]

(that Roland amp atop my Hartke rig is just a keyboard amp, has nothing to do with my bass rig. My keyboard/MIDI studio is behind the amps).

The thing has TI jazz flats strung on it. Feels nice, perfect tension. String gauge is a little light for me (and this coming from a guy who plays lighter gauge roundwounds on his fretted Stingray5). The seller also threw in a set of Rotosound flats, haven't tried those yet. Maybe I'll get used to these ultre light strings.

Played around with the action/neck and found some "Mwah" sweetspots round mid-neck. I also found out I can trigger a more pronounced "mwhah" by pulling back the neck with my fretting hand. I've never played a more expressive instrument in my life.

Other fretless joys:
    - Slapping this freltess Stingray sounds like slapping a P-bass!
    - Brought out my boss CE-3 chorus box that's been collecting dust...instant Pino!
    - Plugged the thing through an envelope fiter for that solid muffled dub tone. MASSIVE BOOM!
    - Love plucking the strings with my thumb at the base of the neck for that upright sound.

I tell ya, playing fretted basses feels REAL weird after slidin' around on a fretless with flats.

Any other fretless Stingray owners out there? Any tips/suggestions/comments for a new owner?

2. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's a beauty. Love the pau ferro fingerboard.
    I'm lusting after either a Sterling or a Stingray fretless. But I wish they were making fretless Bongos....

3. An unlined fretless board is always a joy to see.

I like the color too.

Good luck with her.

Mike :)

4. Thanks :) I originally wanted a lined fretless, but I've heard from others that "you wouldn't want lines, eventually you'll want one unlined." Having never played a fretless before, it felt a little intimidating, but I was still determined to play one.

It all changed one day when I played a Warwick unlined 5-string fretless in a music store. Even though it had roundwounds on it, I was surprised that I was able to navigate the fretboard pretty well. It's all about the dots!

When it came time to try out the Stingray fretless from the seller, I was confident enough to try it out without looking like some doofus. He even told me my intonation was pretty good for someone who's new to fretlesses.

For my Stingray fretless, I cut out a piece of a minidisc's spine label into a tiny square and put it on the 1st fret position on the side of the neck. I wish Musicman put a dot at the first fret position - I know Warwick does that. Having that 1st fret marker there REALLY helps out a lot.

So yeah. having a fretless without lines rules. It makes some other players stand back, that playing an unlined fretless makes one a more "hardcore" bassist. But most of all it makes you a better musician.

5. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Fretless Stingrays are the bomb, I will always have one in my collection.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. I see five knobs! Must be a piezo! :)

7. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Yup!! :cool:

8. Beatiful! Theres just something about a fretless 'Ray that stcks out from other fretless basses. Good score!

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Nice fretless basses! :cool:

Stingraymund have you thought about changing the pickguard? I think a black one would look great!

10. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Bass Profoundo: I've been looking at getting a fretless stingray. What do you think of the piezo? Is it worth the extra cash?

11. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Definitely. I love the sound of a non-piezo Stingray, but the Piezo really adds an acoustic quality to the sound, not unlike a Rob Allen, which I have owned in the past. It really makes it versatile in a rock, acoustic or Jazz setting. The Piezo takes the Mwah factor over the top. I think the Piezo -equipped Rays will hold their value better also, simply because there aren't many used ones on the market.

12. Definitely sweet!

Better bring it to rehearsal tonight so I can make a fool of myself with it! ;)

13. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    I would go with the tortoise guard, this is one I used to own. :)
    [​IMG]

14. :)

Actually the seller was gonna throw in both a black and white PG, but he couldn't find the black one :( Actually I personally like the white one, I like simplicity, though maybe when I have some spare cash I'll get a white pearloid.

Being a Stingray5 owner, I've always thought them SR4 owners were spoiled, you can change PGs without removing the strings :p

15. You were slip-slidin away with those flatwounds!
    I'm apologize if I triggered a G.A.S. attack for you :)

Make sure you play a Sunday afternoon gig with your coverband sometime soon, so I have an excuse to use the fretless with the choir :) :) :)

16. Cool. I've never seen one before. Which knob controls the piezo? Is it a volume knob or a tone knob?

17. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    God I love that Stingray honey-burst. Nice bass, man. :bassist:

18. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    The first knob is volume and the second one is the piezo blend, you can go from all magnetic to an even mix, to all piezo. I like the even mix myself.

19. I agree. I have piezos in my fretless Ibanez, and they make SUCH a difference!

Piezo pups add to fretless sound what valet parking adds to going to a nice restaurant: not absolutely necessary, but they make the experience that much nicer. ;)

Mike :cool:

20. what kind of finish is on the fretboard, if there is one?

thanks!