Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new FRETLESS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornbread, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just converted my Ibanez GSR 100 to a fretless. I popped the frets out with a knife, sanded, filled the holes with wood filler, and applied two coats of polyurethane. It still isn't quite dry. It's a little ugly, but I don't mind. I can't wait to try it out more!

I only hope I don't become more attached to it than I am to the 6 string I just bought...

2. Sounds cool. Have never defretted one myself. I hope it works well for ya.

3. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Congrats and welcome to the fretless club. ;)

I thought about defretting my J-Bass, but frankly I don't trust myself with any kind of woodworking tools. :eek: So I ended up just buying a new fretless. Still, I gotta love do-it-yourselfers!

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Woodworking tools? Who said anything about TOOLS?? :D
    I used a kitchen knife to pry off the frets.

5. I've done it twice. First time same as you, but I was'nt happy. It worked fine, but it was nearly impossible to get the fret tangs out without damaging the wood, so it looked a bit ugly. Also, the poly wore off quite quick, so I ended up sanding it off anyway. Second time, much better. I got a good file, and a new flat sharpening stone, and just filed the frets down flush with the board, then finished them off with the stone, then sandpaper. Took about 3 hours of hard slog, but well worth it. The remaining fret tangs make perfect fret lines, no wood damage, plus they protect the wood from string wear to a certain degree. Recommended.

6. so you guys know for the future, there's an easier way to take out the frets. Put a sodering iron to the fret and it will heat up and will move out of it's place with great ease. Also, sodering iron costs like $6-9 so that's not too bad of a price if you ask me.

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The soldering iron didn't work for me. I don't think there was any glue keeping the frets in place. After applying heat (from a 100watt soldering gun) to the fret, it didn't go anywhere. It was much easier just to pop them out with a knife. Yes, there are burrs around the fret lines, but I don't mind the appearance.
    Marty: Was the polyurethane somewhat sticky? I think it should be dry by now, but it still feels sticky. Of course, I didn't really apply the polyurethane correctly, and it might be too thick. I'll try sanding more off with some 300 grit paper.