My new FRETLESS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornbread, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just converted my Ibanez GSR 100 to a fretless. I popped the frets out with a knife, sanded, filled the holes with wood filler, and applied two coats of polyurethane. It still isn't quite dry. It's a little ugly, but I don't mind. I can't wait to try it out more!

I only hope I don't become more attached to it than I am to the 6 string I just bought...

2. Sounds cool. Have never defretted one myself. I hope it works well for ya.

3. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Congrats and welcome to the fretless club. ;)

I thought about defretting my J-Bass, but frankly I don't trust myself with any kind of woodworking tools. :eek: So I ended up just buying a new fretless. Still, I gotta love do-it-yourselfers!

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Woodworking tools? Who said anything about TOOLS?? :D
    I used a kitchen knife to pry off the frets.

5. I've done it twice. First time same as you, but I was'nt happy. It worked fine, but it was nearly impossible to get the fret tangs out without damaging the wood, so it looked a bit ugly. Also, the poly wore off quite quick, so I ended up sanding it off anyway. Second time, much better. I got a good file, and a new flat sharpening stone, and just filed the frets down flush with the board, then finished them off with the stone, then sandpaper. Took about 3 hours of hard slog, but well worth it. The remaining fret tangs make perfect fret lines, no wood damage, plus they protect the wood from string wear to a certain degree. Recommended.

6. so you guys know for the future, there's an easier way to take out the frets. Put a sodering iron to the fret and it will heat up and will move out of it's place with great ease. Also, sodering iron costs like $6-9 so that's not too bad of a price if you ask me.

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    The soldering iron didn't work for me. I don't think there was any glue keeping the frets in place. After applying heat (from a 100watt soldering gun) to the fret, it didn't go anywhere. It was much easier just to pop them out with a knife. Yes, there are burrs around the fret lines, but I don't mind the appearance.
    Marty: Was the polyurethane somewhat sticky? I think it should be dry by now, but it still feels sticky. Of course, I didn't really apply the polyurethane correctly, and it might be too thick. I'll try sanding more off with some 300 grit paper.