My new friend the El Whappo opens a few doors for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unatratnag, Jan 16, 2006.

1. This was originally a PM I was sending to Tom whom I purchased the El Whappo from. I decided to just post it publically, who knows, maybe it'll make someone try out an A-groove or others feel the same way i do about their rig as I do *shrug*. Anyways, this is my personal opinion on the El Whappo as I have now experiemented with it for a little over a few months/gigged with.

My small note on the El Whappo... "it's fantastic". If i were to put an ad out for these, it'd involve me leaning against it and that quote against the bottom of the page and that's it. "It's fantastic."

I've always loved an amp/cab purchase when I first get it. It's the puppy dog love you have for something new. This was of course no different with the AG. Difference is that this excitement just hasn't wanned at all. In fact I can't wait to play it half the time and try something new I may have thought of or work out an idea with it. I just love how lush it sounds with the GK head. When you turn it on and rake a harmonic or ones favorite chord it's that bucket of ice that someone throws over the shower door in college that wakes you right out of any daydream you may be having. Sends shivers up and down my spine to hear all the things I've been missing/wanting in my head/bass. Someone else put it best in another thread that it's accurate. All the drivers work together and I can't be thankful enough to hear the harmony out of them.

I kinda feel like with all the past cab purchases etc it's like a game of jacks. You can only pick up so many jacks with each round and you kind of have to pick/plan out which jacks you want to grab (read heavy metaphor used here jacks=frequencies). Now it's like my hand has grown to twice it's size and I have a sticky residue all over it so as I bounce the ball I grab all the jacks everytime to my friend's dismay of having no power to stop it. I have control on my sound with this beast and even to an extent, can control a band more... how?

I drive my cab now with same setup before but i'm finding all these bells and whistles that I didn't even know I had. The AG doesn't cut through the mix like most cabs, but it has a certain presence and booty to it. I'm experimenting with it still as I sometimes use an F#(23.12) tuned instrument but it's great to try all these new things. Recently when playing with an experimental band I really like backing up some lines I may normally play by doubling the octave lower of the note i normally play. Creates a lot more presence and power to the sonic force that is beyond just hearing the notes, it's creating the mood. I figure that's something all bass players can appreciate. *shrug* More to come as I experiment with this. Just recently purchased the Carbonnes-DiPiazza-Manring album and on a couple of tracks Carbonnes would lay back and use the sub bass to work as a pulse almost to fill in for the lack of no drummer on that album (my interpretation and what I feel from what he's doing). Cool ideas like these can't be reproduced on the other cabs *the way I want to at least*. A groove has the ability to reproduce some of the lower notes to be/feel more full than usual cabs.

Also the mids are unlike any other cabinet before. I just found a treasure chest of grandpa's old mids lying around and I don't know what to do with them. This will probably be more interesting the more and more I experiement live and with the mix etc, but it's just outstanding to stand back and look at the El Whappo in the eyes (or twin tweeters) and ponder on what it can do next.

I'm considering pushing all my stuff out the door that's not accugroove. Cheers friend, thanks for the trade and hope all is going well with you in your music endeavors.

As a final note; this is all my personal opinion of course. Hope those of you who have the chance to try one do... might open some doors for you.

**EDIT** have not recorded with this yet... will have to mic this and see how it sounds strait/cut in with DI....
  2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    You are deep in 'groove land, bro...:D I admit to being spoiled by Accu-mids also!

3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Indeed! welcome to the accugroove club. While not the most popular club these days (due to the accuswitch issue), we welcome all new members and converts!

I'm still enjoying my Tri 210 and Tri 112 cabs. Like all AG cabs, they have excellent volume, punch, low end, and overall great tone!

:D :bassist: :D