Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new G & L L-2000 and BNW experience

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lildrgn, Jan 11, 2001.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I got a new bass last week from our friends at Bass NW. Dealt with Aaron, who was very patient and helpful. I wasn't intending to go with the G&L, but after playing a whole bunch of basses, including a Modulus J-bass and a Mike Lull J-bass (both of which sounded <i>bad</i> :cool:, btw), I decided to go with the dark blue clear finished G&L. Why? Well, I already have a MIA Jazz and I figured that that bass would do for when I needed the Jazz sound. It just seemed redundant. But the L-2000, with all the knobs and switches, had so many different sounds (or maybe it was just the sweet Ashdown rig he had me playing through...). Anyway, I loved how it looked and how it sounded. Trouble was, I really liked the ASAT style (here it is: http://www.bassnw.com/G&L Special Sale Basses/gl_asat_33857_blueburst_maple_4_st.htm )initally, but the blue ASAT they had was a maple fretboard and I just couldn't dig that. The L2K I got has a rosewood board and looks so much nicer :)

Anyway, the dudes at BNW were running the end of year clearance sale and <i>everything</i> was on sale. Thank God I live 15 minutes away! I was looking to spend less than one large and the L2K fit the bill. So when I asked Aaron to write me up, imagine my surprise when he told me it would be $100 less than what it was marked! Incredible. Plus I got the sweet G&L hardcase (even though I use bags) with that low price. And to top it off, he gave my buddy a BNW tshirt just for asking!

As far as the bass goes, after having Chad (the owner) put on some Dunlop locks, it is great. The pups are <i>super</I> hot, so much so that I really need only turn the volume up 1/8th or so to be heard. And the tones it gets cut like crazy. So far, though, I haven't found one that I can stick with. Don't know if it's cause I'm not satisified with it or if I'm just noodling around :). If you want to hear it and you're in the Seattle area, come see my band, Whileaway, tomorrow, Friday, the 12th, at the Central Saloon. We're playing the last slot (ugh) and won't get on til about 12:00. Come by and say Hi (Dot74?).

So there you have it. I'm a 3 time BNW winner. I got my SWR cab there. I got my MM Sterling there. And now I got a great bass for a killer price (less than 8, including tax!), plus I get free setups for life!

Thanks for reading. I just wanted to share how cool it is to have a bass boutique right in my own back yard.

2. I'm glad you like it. They are a great bass indeed.