My new G&L SB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    '86 style. Leo era SB-1. Black body (wood unknown, suspect alder), black single ply pickguard. Has the black cast zinc bridge and tone lock screw. About 1.7" at the nut, and has that bi-cut neck, so it has no fingerboard; gloss neck finish and 21 frets that are all in great shape. Pretty light, but with enought weight to have some authority.

Has some dings, love taps, and a couple chips of paint missing, but over all, in outstanding condition for a bass nearly as old as I am. The neck is perfect, though. So I really think it's about an 8 out of 10, you might not, but all things considered, it's marvelous.

Sounds massive, and is generally hard to put down. This is pretty much my ideal 4 banger.

And, of course since it doesn't exist unless there are pik-toors. Yes, there's some flash spots, but 1) I'm a terrible photographer, and 2) These are close enough and 3) I'm lazy. :)

2. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
  3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Right on, Brendan.

That there's a gen-yoo-wine bottomend powerhouse. Would you believe the SB-1 was originally designed as a "student bass?" What is that one? 84? 85?
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    86. It really is a kick in the pants. And, as simple as it is, it nicely meets all the requirements I have for a bass:

Precision pickup (or something meaty): Check
    Beefy bridge: Check
    Wide nut: Check
    Downsized body: Check (1.5" thick and less than Fender perimeter)
    Sounds killer: Check
    Good frets: Check

Sadly, it's G&L and Spector that make 4 bangers that meet my specs, and that's about it for production basses. There are enough wide 5s out there, but not nearly enough wide 4s.

Rockin' the P of doom.
  6. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    That is sweet man. I just recently picked up my first G&L (SB-2) and am thinking of rewiring it so that it is vol/tone and so only the P-pup is on (j pup would be a decoy).
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Any bridge pickup is a decoy for me. Never could understand the appeal, myself. I do, however, like playing there abouts, so there might be a thumbrest of some sort in my SB-1s future.
  8. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

Yeah I just use the J pup for a thumbrest
  9. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Dude! Welcome to the club. I have an old SB-1 (single p'up)-- I think it's an 84. It is the thump machine. I've got it tuned BEAD now with fender flats on it. It is HUGE.

I've been playing my LB100 almost exclusively. It nails the vintage p-bass vibe. I love it.

I believe that once you own a G&L, you'll never play another bass again. ;)
  10. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Congrats. I like the black-on-black with maple. :)
  11. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a quick question. Is the MFD P-pup in the SB-1/SB-2 the same measurements as a standard P-pup?
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, I've already owned a G&L prior to this. A 3 tone sunburst L2000 of a '94 vintage. Still not sure why I sold it...
    The 5s are a bit narrow at the nut for me, but they are still pretty kickin' basses. G&L does make pretty much some of the sweetest 4s ever, though. Like I said, for 4 bangers, it's Spector and G&L.

Dunno the measures of a standard P, but if you can tell me (or I could go look, either way) I can certainly measure/compare for you.
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I used to think the same untill I bought a Valenti. ;)

They're still incredible instruments and I plan to get another when I have the money for more basses than I know what to do with.