1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new G&L Tribute L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just picked it up this week and I have to say I am very impressed. It certainly does not have the fit and finish of the US G&Ls (mine has some rough places on the fingerboard very high up the neck), but it is nonetheless very solid. I love the tone, although I don't have everything dialed in yet on my amp,etc. but that will come. What I really like about it is that it has a beefy yet growly tone (I think a bit more girth than a jazz, but with that growl), but clear highs. My other bass is a Thumb, which also growls like mad, but I don't like the highs as I find them a bit harsh for my taste. The Tribute's pickups seem to be extremely quiet, even with the treble boosted. Another note - the string spacing is a bit tighter than I am used to (this is my first five string), but I think I will get used to it. The neck has a good satin finish to it with a thin profile, so it feels good to play. I love the way Warwicks feel (more of a raw wood) and don't particularly like to gloss feel found on many bases out there - this suits me quite well. I consider myself a four-string player at heart, but who knows, this bass may change that. For now, it seems to be a great workhorse and likely the only 5 I'll ever need (until the next major GAS attack...):p

2. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Just got myself one today
    [​IMG]

The gang at Oklahoma Vintage Guitars gave me a killer deal. I'm gonna use it at this weekends gigs. Reviews after I've had some time playing it. IMO the best "Bang for the Buck" going right now.:D

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I got one too recently. I bought it to leave at the practice space. Sort of my beater practice bass. But after hearing it through my main bass rig, I was blown away! Greta mids that cut through the mix with excellent highs and a wonderful funk slap tone. I would have to agree this is the best bang for the buck bass I can think of? especially with it's active tone controls, quiet pickups, excellent action and a very decent B string for a 34" scale bass.

I used it on a couple gigs in place of my Modulus Q5 which cost almost 5 times as much! Granted, the Moddy plays faster and has a much Better B String, but the Tribute 2500 is totally a fine working bass. I put it on par, or damn close to the Lakland Skylines. I actually think I like the Tribute better than the Lakland Skyline 55-02's!

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
  5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm soooo hoping my wife was listening the 20 times I've hinted around that I want a Premium finish Tribute L-2500 for xmas. If she doesn't get it for me she will witness a 33 year old man throw a tantrum like a 5 year old! ;-) Those basses are just so nice looking and if they play and sound as well as everyone says they do....well...my wife better get me one! ;-)