My new G&L Tribute L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just picked it up this week and I have to say I am very impressed. It certainly does not have the fit and finish of the US G&Ls (mine has some rough places on the fingerboard very high up the neck), but it is nonetheless very solid. I love the tone, although I don't have everything dialed in yet on my amp,etc. but that will come. What I really like about it is that it has a beefy yet growly tone (I think a bit more girth than a jazz, but with that growl), but clear highs. My other bass is a Thumb, which also growls like mad, but I don't like the highs as I find them a bit harsh for my taste. The Tribute's pickups seem to be extremely quiet, even with the treble boosted. Another note - the string spacing is a bit tighter than I am used to (this is my first five string), but I think I will get used to it. The neck has a good satin finish to it with a thin profile, so it feels good to play. I love the way Warwicks feel (more of a raw wood) and don't particularly like to gloss feel found on many bases out there - this suits me quite well. I consider myself a four-string player at heart, but who knows, this bass may change that. For now, it seems to be a great workhorse and likely the only 5 I'll ever need (until the next major GAS attack...):p
  2. coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Just got myself one today

The gang at Oklahoma Vintage Guitars gave me a killer deal. I'm gonna use it at this weekends gigs. Reviews after I've had some time playing it. IMO the best "Bang for the Buck" going right now.:D
  3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I got one too recently. I bought it to leave at the practice space. Sort of my beater practice bass. But after hearing it through my main bass rig, I was blown away! Greta mids that cut through the mix with excellent highs and a wonderful funk slap tone. I would have to agree this is the best bang for the buck bass I can think of? especially with it's active tone controls, quiet pickups, excellent action and a very decent B string for a 34" scale bass.

I used it on a couple gigs in place of my Modulus Q5 which cost almost 5 times as much! Granted, the Moddy plays faster and has a much Better B String, but the Tribute 2500 is totally a fine working bass. I put it on par, or damn close to the Lakland Skylines. I actually think I like the Tribute better than the Lakland Skyline 55-02's!
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm soooo hoping my wife was listening the 20 times I've hinted around that I want a Premium finish Tribute L-2500 for xmas. If she doesn't get it for me she will witness a 33 year old man throw a tantrum like a 5 year old! ;-) Those basses are just so nice looking and if they play and sound as well as everyone says they wife better get me one! ;-)