Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Gallien-Krueger rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Im a newbie, and I thought my first post would be cool if I showed my new rig. Its a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II on a Gallien-Krueger Neo212. The 1001RB is awesome, this is my second one. The Neo 212 is a fairly new cab and Daniel Elliot at GK told me they were great, but holy crap, this cab is AMAZING. Mind blowing even. I have never heard a better sounding bass rig, and Ive tried a ton of configs. Do yourself a favor and check out the Gallien-Krueger gear.
    -Travis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sweet rig man!!! Hmmm... I've been thinking about one of the NEO 2x12's, how does it sound to you? Is there more apparent bottom and less highs? Is there a plentiful midrange or do you have to boost it? I've got a 700RB-II I use with an Avatar and I'd like one of these due to the 30+ pound weight difference plus I love GK gear. Where'd you find yours??

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Welcome to the club. I have a 1001 RB and 2 4x10 RBH cabs.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I was never a GK fan. It always reminded me of that 90's hair metal sound. However, I heard Norm Stockton at Detroit Bassfest using your exact rig with the addition of a Neo 1/15, and it was SMOKIN. I played through the rig at LDS and I have to admit, I've been converted. The 1001RB with the new Neo cabs is an excellent sounding combination. Congrats!

5. Ralphdaddy,

The cab has really punchy mids, smooth lows, and the cleanest highs Ive heard. I played a gig with it Sunday night and was amazed that the bass sounded completely even from top to bottom. I just cant put into words how good this cab sounds. Moving the cab was effortless since its on casters and weighs just over 60 pounds. I hope you will try the new Neo cabs. I have seen them on Bass Northwests website, but I got mine through endorsement.

www.bassnw.com

6. Thanks Pat. I will be adding a Neo115 very soon. Hows the Bongo treating you?

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The Bongo is treating me very well so far. I've used it for two gigs. The first I used a set of DM SR2000 on it and it was a bit over the top clank and treble wise. I switched to
    TI Superalloys for the second gig, and it sounded great. This is definitely a bass for nickel strings. Using ss may cause injury!

8. Glad its working for you. I put a tort pg on the Sterling and its looking and sounding great.

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Oooo.... me thinks I just found my next acquisition, thanks EB!!!!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Me too! :bassist:

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Hey whaddaya know, I'm gonna have the same rig very soon :D . I ordered a GK NEO 212 yesterday from Riksmusic.com to pair with my beloved 1001RB-II. I just dumped my Peavey 4X10 today so I'm cabless till it arrives but that cab was so horrible (insanely inefficient, overall crap sound) it's not going to bother me and I need to rest my tendonitis a little bit anyway.

On an unrelated side note I'm also waiting for my Skyline Bob Glaub strung BEAD with TI Jazz Flats being shipped direct from Lakland but bought through Bass Central (thanks Gard!). No more of my POS Mexican P :spit: . I'm not going to turn this into an anti-Fender rant, I just got a bad apple.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I hurt my back this morning hauling the 100 lb 4X10 around. My back can't wait for the 64 lb cab!

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Has anyone tried the Neo 4x12. I'm very interested to find out how it is.

13. Dan Elliot at GK said it was great. He also said that about the 2x12 and he was right on the money. If the 4x12 sounds as good as the 2x12 it should rock.

Just be ready to pick your jaw up off the ground when you hear the 2x12 ralphdaddy!!!!

congrats squidfinger. youre in for a treat.

14. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Ive got the 1001 and really wanted to do the GK neo thing but was scared to buy without hearing. I may have to try the a 2x10 to put on top of my aguilar 1x15 then later replace with a neo 1x15. What kind of music do you play, and at what volume levels?

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    GK owner here too. I can't wait to hear what the neo cabs sound like. The 2x12 cab would be right up my alley. I already have a 1001RB 2x10 combo with a 1x15RBH cab.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    GK sounds great; really really great.

If Ashdown were not so cheap here in the UK, I'd have a GK rig to be sure. As it is, the Ashdown win's for me because its just as good, and a whole lot cheaper, and as a staunch patriot, I'm supporting British Design and Engineering by buying Ashdown ABM series amps / cabs.

17. glad to hear that head/cab combinations sounds so good, i'm actually thinkin about getting that same cab to pair up with my 700rb-II

18. great pics, great rig!

thanks for that.. oh i like the fireplace too.

19. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i'm also in the planning for a very similar rig.
    tell me though, did the rack your amp is in come with the amp?
    i'm planning on picking up the 1001rb-II from riksmusic.com in the next week or two, and am wondering if i will have to find myself a rack to put it in, or if one is included.

20. yeah, you'd have to buy a rack for it, if i'm not mistaken i beleive you might be able to take the rack ears off of it and just use it like that