Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my New GAS :: LowEnd Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Hart, Jul 18, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I am set with my 2 current Benaventes (see sig if you haven't seen the pictures ;) )... but I have thought in the back of my mind that I'd dig a 34" scale Jazz 5 (GASed over Lull, Sadowsky, KS Design, and Fender).

Well, I've gone fretless 6, my current fretted 5 is the last I'll ever need, so that has killed Jazz Basses for me :smug: till I found out Brian B is having my favorite builder make necks and bodies for him... in 4, 5, 6 and :eek: 7 string!!!!

I'm working out the details on getting a LowEnd Jazz 6 fretless in either Lake Placid Blue or transparent white with red tort*.... rosewood board with dots & maybe fretlines. Maybe a P/J setup too :cool: It's gonna be a long while till I can get up the deposit.... but I'm getting started!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do y'all think?

Jorg Schroeder has a 7 string on order! I think that may be a first for Jazzes (anyone know of any traditional Jazz basses in 6 or 7 string versions?)

* for those who don't remember, my fretless 6 was ordered LPB w/red tort but Chris asked to make it burst (I very much dig it as is!!!) and the trans white w/red tort is how I had my first custom built... it is my all time favorite combo for a Fender styled instrument

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    that is the coolest looking jazz bass i have seen.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Atelier Z used to make 70's looking 6 string Jazz copies. Those LowEnd J copies look pretty sweet!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I think I remember seeing one of them now that you mention it! I'm gonna have to hunt some pictures down, Thanks.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Curbow has made a couple of pretty amazing 6 string Jazz Basses, too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    not bad! I'm sure they play great too... but too far off the traditional Jazz look IMHO. If I wanted simply "like" a jazz I'd get a Vortex.

On second look, they kinda look like the double cut NYC Fodera (which is also a cool looking bass)

*off to find picts of the Fodera I'm thinking of*

[edit]ok, it was the NYBW deep 6... but no they don't look much alike. [/edit]

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd love to have a 7 string Jazz bass!! :smug:

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I thought they looked REALLY nice... But, of the 4 posted in the NAMM thread, I think the Blue w/ the Red Tort w/ my LEAST fav...

I really DO like the white, & that figured burst, tho. That fiesta red could wind up getting hard on the eyes after a while, me thinks.

9. I can hardly wait until my 7 string is completed :hyper:

10. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
  11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played the Curbow 'burst Jazz 6. VERY nice and playable. Those Lowend pieces will be part of my stable!

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I think I'm set on specs

LowEnd Jazz 6 fretless

Ash body in white like my fretted 51 w/matching headstock
    Stablized Snakewood board
    red tort guard
    P/J pickups w/3 band pre

:bassist: That Sei is killer though!

13. My lowend 7 string Jazz will have a natural swamp ash body, 3 piece neck, 35" scale, Benavente pickups & 3 band preamp. Brian calculated ~ 3 months, I can wait that long :D

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I waited 3+ months for my fretted 5, the fretless was more like 10 months (If I paid up front it'd been 3 or so).

but Jorg, that new Vortex 6 you scored should hold you over.... right :smug:

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

:help:

wait don't :smug:

16. Well, I guess I have to suffer and just do with the Vortex for a while :) [​IMG]

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Well you have a 7 fretless as well now..

;)

18. That's true, Mark;
    And I like it a lot. :D
    I have to mention that Mark is a real honest and straight shooter, and he really takes care of his gear. The 7 string fretless I've purchased from him is a beauty.

19. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I heard about the 7 string Low end basses. I can't wait to play one of those. I have a Marcus Miller 5 string and a 4 string Fender Jazz. I dont know if it will come in any wood combination.

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    A 7-string Jazz...hmmmmm