Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new GB - (in progress)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Sep 30, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I just got a picture of the top that Bernie has picked out for my new 5-string GB.
    [​IMG]

Other than the body color, it will look similar to this one when it's done:
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully another 3-4 weeks until completion!:D

2. That is a great looking piece of quilted maple. What colour is the top going to be?

Geoff

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Nice wood! Those GB basses are absolute slap machines! (Saw Mark King playing them a couple of years ago) Not bad for fingerstyle either! (Understatement)

Please keep us updated.

4. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Thanks.

I'm hoping the top will end up similar to this color:
    [​IMG]

5. Your top is really beautiful.
    I had the chance to play a GB bass, they are really great basses.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    WOW, send her over and I'll write up a review for you..... I know your busy and won't have time ;)

GREAT piece of wood!!!!

7. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Brian, when it's completed, I'll have Bernie ship it directly to you. Then when you are done with it, you can send it my way. ;) :D

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    SOUNDS LIKE A DEAL :D :bassist:

9. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Grahame (Rumblebass) was kind enough to take a few snapshots of it at a UK Guitar Show last week.
    From these pictures, I think the bass came out great. I can't wait to see it in person.

We did decide to keep the two darker "stripes" on the maple top. They are in the wood and not a mistake from the spray booth, so rather than cover them with a color, we chose to keep everything natural, including nature's flaw. :)
    [​IMG]

10. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    "Out for delivery"

Should be any moment now! Woo Hoo!
    :D :p

11. That looks really sweet. Congrats, man!

Geoff

12. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    The foolish thing went out for delivery at 8:00 this morning and left from the next town over from me.
    2:00 and still waiting...Isn't that always the way? :)

13. Yes, I remember one bass that hit customs and sat there for over a week, just a few blocks away. Interestingly, the bass I traded for it went through customs in only one day.

Hope you get it soon.

Geoff

14. Dat's purdy, berklee. Congrats!

15. I saw scots bass at music live 2003 and it looks fantastic and really like the through body stringing..

being a GB fanataic (and lots ppl will know) i have got a GB IV in GB's Parismic-Sparkle finish which you can see below.. :D...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have just taken deliver of a New EBS rig thanks to Bernie.. Fafner Head, 4x10 and 1x15 my god ive never heard my bass sound as good as it is now...

I have now orderd my new GB Spitfire..

After i couldnt decided on the finish

was either

[​IMG]

or

[img[http://www.druidmedia.co.uk/gbguitars4/images/standard/112.jpg[/img]

Bernie said he will use both colour to create a fading effect on the top with hints of both red and purple with a flamed mapel top. I wanted a quilted but he assured me that the flamed would look supurb and I trust Bernie's judgement.

The thing about GB's is you buy for life...

next week my current GB is going bk to Bernie to have "the works" done on it.. re-finishing in places after a few battle scars appeared, brand new updated electronics, totaly new setup and full neck and fret cleaning and re-polish and all i have to pay for is the carrige..thats Customer service... Bernie called me up during my purchase of my New EBS rig to make sure everything was okay and that i was happy with the sound..

Ive been invited down to the show room to personally hand select the piece of flamed mapel for the top and to see the workshop and Bernie is gonna give me a crash course in setting basses up..Believe you me..the guy is probably the best seter-upper of them all easily on a par with Roger Sadowsky...

I shall post picture of my new bass as and when i get them... plus some sound clips of my GB and stuff..

All excited hehe...

16. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I never heard of this builder. Anybody got any info?
    A web site maybe?

Thank you!

17. GB Guitars was started about 20 years ago by Bernie Goodfellow (originally named Goodfellow Guitars), he then went through some bad business descions and lost the name to Goodfellow Guitars

He then started GB Guitars in the 80's

Based in Croydon UH he makes INHO the best hand built bass guitars you can get..

Unlike some custom manufactuers such as Sei Bernie doesnt go for stupid off the wall designs but instead has two ranges to chose from

The GB Spitfire

[​IMG]

Bassed on a classic Jazz shape but narrower using Swamp Ash bodies to keep them light and hard rock mapel necks and Custom GB electronics (of course you can have it what every wood you like with what ever finish you like)

and

Then Rumor

[​IMG]

which is bassically whatever you want you can have...again with GB custom Electronics...

The Electroics are the best in the Biz

Treb, Mid, Bass with Hi-Fi boost switch

+/- 21db Cut (Sad is +/- 18db)

They are perfectly made with no flaws, the customer service cannot be faulted but the basses are truely amazing.. the necks are the best ive played so quick and beautifully finished off with a sound that can give the arse outta anything..

some people who have them

Mark King
    Marcus Miller
    Flea
    Victor Bailey
    Boom
    Pascal Mulot

website

www.gbguitars.co.uk

old site

www.gbguitars.clara.net

i wouldnt have anything else but a GB I havent tried them all out there but ive tried a fair few (apart from the ones u cant get in the UK)...everyone comments on the tone... you aint heard slap till u've heard a GB in the hands of Mark King...lol

i aint affiliated with GB at all...just Mwwaahh....

18. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Bernie's stuff is good. Well built, and the custom electronics are very powerful. I had a (very custom) 5-string GB Rumour for a while (different body shape, reshaped headstock to accomodate two Hipshots and several other non-standard appointments), and it was a great bass. Ended up not being quite right for me though, I don't think the sound was really suited for rock, but that's just my opinion.

Russ :bassist:

19. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Pic of the reshaped headstock...

20. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    That's not really fair on Martin at Sei Bass. His basses are fantastic - the bass I replaced my GB with is a Sei. Between the four body styles he offers (Jazz, Original, Flamboyant and Flamboyant Singlecut), he can cover most of the bases (no pun intended) that people may want, from traditional to avant-garde. Call him the UK's answer to Benavente where GB would be more like the UK's answer to Sadowsky or Fodera.

I'm not taking sides between them here - I've owned both, they're both great, and I guess I'm not a traditional bass guy who goes for standard designs.

Also, if the Sei Bass stuff is off the wall, what do you make of the Basslab stuff? :D