My New Gecko 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Floyd, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Hi People

I said I would post sopme pics as my bass gets put together.
    Me and =^..^= have spent 2 nights on it so far and will hopefully finish up on Saturday.
    Here's the pics!!!
  2. Beautiful! I look forward to reading a review as well. Also, could you give us an estimate on the cost when you're finished?
  3. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

This figuring is amazing!
  4. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    Great looking!
    Congratulations.I hope it sounds as well as it looks.
    If you have mp3 of it, i am very intrested.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very Nice. Keep the pictures coming.
  6. :eek:

That is one sharp looking bass!!!!

Seriously!! Damn!!

The woods are spanking, the curves are as wonderful as a supermodel's backside.

7. Hey, thanks for the comments! I am well pleased with it.

Heres a couple more shots

8. man, i would kill someone for a bass like that!
    really beautifull. I think i might kill you, where do you live?:D
  9. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    very nice...if I do a custom job, thinking about the gecko myself. Definately give cost estimates.
  10. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Beautiful bass. I bet it'll really kick with the Basslines electronics. What wood is the top? :confused:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I thoght they didint make those bridges anymore, i here they are difficult to intonate. What has your expirence been Floyd.
  12. The cost was $1070 all in, including shipping to the uk.
    For that I got:
    A swamp ash body with jotoba top
    Maple neck with Birdseye maple finger board (medium 5)
    Kahler bridge (although a pain to intonate, looks awesome and better in the flesh than on the site!)
    A pair of ASB2-5 Soap bars
    Duncan/Basslines 3 Band Preamp for Active Pups
    Gotoh Tuners.

The top wood is Jotoba, which is a brazillian cherry wood, apparently quite sought after stuff and not cheap. The site dosent actually list Jotoba as a wood they offer and when I ordered it the guy actually said when looking at the picture "gee, jotoba, whats that???" hehe :)
    The body and neck were found in the showcase pages.
  13. Man thats one sweet bass.

how much was all that? if you don't mind telling. I am thinking about getting a custom and i was for sure going to get a Gecko 5 but with one pup in it.

14. Major Metal: I haven't got to the set up stage yet. Pups and Actives to wire first. I have read that the Kahler is a pain in the ass to set up but it really looks nice in the flesh!!
  15. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Not to answer for floyd, but I have an old Warmoth 6 string I bought used, and it has one of these Kahler bridges on it.

Positives? It is a very solid, well made bridge

Negatives? Damn thing is a ROYAL pain in the arse to set the intonation. Each bridge saddle is anchored to the bass with two small allen screws. Each string saddle also acts as the string anchor. Therefore, you have to COMPLETELY detune the string taking all tension off of it, loosen the two allen screws, then MANUALLY move the bridge saddle. Then you have to tighten the string back up to tune, check the intonation, and start all over. VERY bad design IMHO. Also, while you've got the allen screws loose, you have to ensure you don't mess up the side to side string spacing adjustment as well. Again, this bridge should win a darwin award for bad design for adjustment.

16. I reckon I will be agreeing with you Kahuna after the weekend! But it does look damn good, for all its bad points!
  17. Did you order it prefinished with the clearcoat? Awsome pictures, can't wait to hear how it sounds and plays. My warmoth deluxe five is still the highlight of my bass playing life so far! Have fun with her.
  18. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    That's a great looking bass, Floyd. Congrats!