My new Gibson!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Nov 23, 2003.

1. So finally. 3 years, and I finally have one!

Here she is!
    My 4 string '70 Grabber 3. Original hardshell case with pink velvet lining, bit beaten, but expected, the hinges are fine, its just a crack at the bottom end, the case is still secure!

the bass is imaculate! i think that it used to be CAR once, tho, becuase although it is natural, there is what loks like red dye everywhere. very smooth.

neck is straight, and very smoooth, practically no wear!

the headstock paint is cracking, but im not worried. it'll be fine!

the tuners are very smooth, they stay in tune forever, and great sustain!

the chrome is a bit dirty, i tryed brasso + chrome cleaner to no avail, again, no biggy!

the ferts on the upper register are a bit high, but I'll have it sorted!

THis bass, SOUNDS AWESOME! Words cannot describe. I AM IN AWE!

Ive gigged her twice since I got the bass on Friday, and she has cutted thru amazingly, very unique tone. the whole sound.light crew commented and agree'd ;).

the previous owner added an switch for the middle pup which is pretty cool.

any questions free feel to ask. i'll get some clips up as son as I get the CD from the gig, if you want anymore clips just ask! ;)
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sweet bass ! Congrats !
  3. also, the truss cover is not shown, but is *apparently* on it's way:)

If you want I can post some more action shots tonight from Saturday's gig. :D
  4. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Congratulations, G-3s are excellent sounding basses and yours looks to be in good shape.

But you can't have a '70 no matter what the serial number may indicate. The original sliding pickup Grabbers were made from '73-'82, the G-3s were made '75-'82.

The G-3 pickups and switching were designed by Bill Lawrence.

Yours may have once been CAR but that wouldn't have been a factory finish.
  5. Fair enough DW, I'll take your word for it - I always thought the G3's came after the G's, but I went by the serial #.

967767 > which is between 70-73 on the Gibson site...
  6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

I think (but I'm not sure) your G3 is dated somewhere between 1977 and 1979, and comes in the contingent of Kamalazoo-made Gibsons that did not use the standard serialization during these years.

Because as said above, your G3 cannot even be a 1973 model.

Just a question : where is the S/N printed on this bass ?

7. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    the Grabber almost reminds me of the 5 string Stingray cosmetically.
  8. its stamped on the back of the headstock.

i also agree about the cosmetics! and tbh, with new strings, i think it sounds like one too!
  9. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    OK. The reason why I asked this question, according to the anachronism, is that maybe your G3 (necessarily built between 1975 and 1982) had its neck changed, and the new neck would be that of an original Grabber... Do you think it could be ?
  10. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice.......I want one!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Im not sure - perhaps the neck isnt even a real Gibson; it's more like a P-bass neck, baseball style, and its a bit wider, my only compliant about the bass!

The sound is sha-weet! I love the black headstock, but my Grabber's neck is just AWESOME. Best neck I have ever played!

I'm not too bothered about it, really. The fact is, I have a bass I'm in love with!!
  12. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    No, that's a Gibson neck. G-3 and Grabber necks are more like a P-bass than other Gibson basses. And there's no reason to think the neck is from an earlier bass.

You simply cannot trust Gibson serial numbers from about 1965-77. You have to know what years the model was made and in some cases what specific features changed over what years. I can "prove" by those serial number books and lists that my EB-0L was manufactured two years before the model was ever introduced and three years before mine was actually made.