My new GK MB210 II died mid-gig on me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Intune, May 25, 2014.

1. Let me start out by saying I loved the sound of this amp. This is my first GK product but I have used them in backlines before. Electronic circuits fail sometimes.

I subbed for a gig at a small club in Maryville, TN (Brackins Blues Bar) over the weekend. After about 45 mins I ended up playing direct through the PA. :( I usually would have had a spare amp but there was no room on this trip. I had used the amp twice before (gigging) with no problems, nothing but compliments on how good the bass sounded. I think I might have sold a MB212 II for GK to a keyboardist after he lifted up my amp during a break.

I don't think I was pushing the amp too hard. The Master was at 12, Gain at 11 and all the EQ's were at some point less than 12. Boost was at about 10. Contour was off, horn was off and Limiter was on. Does anything look wrong with these settings? The amp never went into "protect" mode with the red light on. It just went dead.

I payed over $400 for this amp on 5/7. Even though it looks like a brand-new amp, I bought it used, so I know that I am hosed on the factory warranty. I have used an amp repair company in Nashville for my other rigs but their turnaround time is really slow so I'll be contacting GK after the holiday for what they think I should do. I'll probably either take it to an authorized repair facility around here (if there is one) or send it back to the factory to get it done right

This amp is going to cost me a pretty penny in the long run, but I believe it's going to be worth it. It's that good. And light. ;) I never would have thought the two could go together but when I'm the one doing the lifting I REALLY appreciate that!

I'll keep ya'll updated.

2. Yeah, GK sells boatloads of amps all over the world so a few lemons are to be expected.

I've been a very happy GK users for 30+ years. However, I've never had to rely on GK customer service - but I've read here on TB that its really good (A+) so most likely this should or will be a short thread.

3. I just wanted to make sure it was nothing that I did wrong and messed it up. That was the loudest I've ever pushed the amp but it never sounded "strained." In fact, it sounded like it had hit the sweet-spot. Really, really full and solid.

Could it be something like a power fluctuation? The git player told me that he had a Fender Twin crap out at that venue last year the exact same way. Just went totally dead with no warning. I had plugged into a power strip and I realize that's not any sort of power conditioner but it did have a circuit breaker for large spikes. Is it possible a spike went through that was large enough to hurt the amp but not trip the breaker?

No effects were in the chain. Bass, cord, amp. Haunted venue? ;)

4. From what you posted here it doesn't look like you did anything wrong, and yes faulty power could of cause damage, and you don't know how hard the amp was pushed before you bought it either. Check to make sure the power cord is plugged all the way into the amp and use a different AC outlet (a good one) and if it still doesn't work contact GK Tuesday - I don't know if the amp is still under warranty or not but either way, GK can fix it and fix it right.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

You don't really say what went wrong. Did the amp fail as in not switching on od did it just go silent? I don't feel that a single 2x10 is enough to successfully play an average gig. Plus 500W into a 2x10 is a heck of a lot. You need to find out if the drivers are toast of if the amp itself has failed. If the unit has an effects loop try linking the send and return with a signal cable to see if that helps.

Edit: You bought a used amp so you really don't know it's history and how hard it may have been used.

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    You need to give us more info AND try your amp into another cabinet that you KNOW works. If your amp killed the 2x10 it may have either gone into a self-protect shutdown or hurt the amp or maybe just an internal fuse went out.

7. It went completely dead about 40 mins into the first set. No light around power button. Tried switching outlets, made sure power cord was inserted fully. Dead. Still dead when I tried it at home the next day. I had that fingers-crossed hopeful feeling that it would power up normally and that all would be well. Sigh... :)

This combo amp is 350w unless an 8o extension cab is coupled, then it is 500w @ 4o.

Yes, it is a used amp and I don't know its history. That's why I put a few practice hours into it at various sound levels before I trusted it on a gig. It passed with flying colors.

This amp at less than 1/2 up on the gain is plenty loud for the Blues band and the small venues I was using it at. Drums aren't even mic'd. I was hoping that I had an amp that I could use at small venues and as a monitor at the ones with PA support. The whole package weighs less than 1/2 of just my Mesa 400+ head, never mind cabs. This was not an impulse buy. If it's a gig where I have to move my own stuff, I'm going with lightweight. I'm old...

I'm sure they can fix it, I'll pay for the repairs and move on from there. I like this amp and am willing to give it a second chance.

8. Some basses deliver more signal to the amp than others. Some of the hotter ones could easily have overdriven your amp at those volume and EQ settings. How did the amp sound just before failure?

It is always critical to listen to how the amp sounds. It's a good idea to intentionally overdrive an amp you'll be using just to hear how it sounds as clean passes to overload, passes to severe overload so that you know what to listen for.

Power at many (most?) venues is anything but clean and reliable. I always run my amps through a surge protector. Cheap protection.

9. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton Supporting Member

I wouldn't give up on the GK. Could be something small to fix. I have used my MB210 for small gigs with and without extension cabs and have never had any issues. I really hate to hear that it happened mid gig....that sucks!

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If the power light doesn't even come on, check the A/C mains fuse. Possible it could've blown for some reason.

As far as repair, aside from the preamp board, most of these little micro heads have the power supply and power amp all on one circuit board. They're like computers, cheaper and faster to replace an entire circuit board rather than paying somebody hours of labor to find whatever little 50 cent part went bad and why. It's part of the "throw it away and get another one" mentality manufacturers use now.

Sometimes you can buy a whole 'nother amp for only slightly more than a new circuit board for yours.

But, before you get too discouraged, check the mains power fuse, and/or different power cord, different outlet in a different building, etc.

Other than the fuse, the power switch (and indicator light attached to it) are the first things the power hits in most any type of amp. If it's not even getting past that point, your list of possible problem parts has been narrowed down by like 99%. It's basically the fuse, or the switch itself.

11. BloozBass

BloozBass

Oct 29, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    As an electrical guy, my concern here is the statement that this same venue cost your guitarist one of his amps earlier. Sounds to me like a power quality issue at the venue. Understand that the circuit breaker on your power strip won't react fast enough to stop a surge - it is only on there to protect the cord and the strip itself from having too much of an amperage draw for what they are rated. Many years ago I was in an Army band and our jazz band was playing an evening concert-in-the-park type gig. This was in the days before surge strips were popular (early 1970's), and our power came from a portable generator. Within the space of about 5 seconds, my V4B, the guitarist's Vibrolux Reverb, the Rhodes piano and the Bandmaster the Rhodes was plugged into all quit. Repair guy was able to fix them, but said he'd never seen such a mess internally. Couldn't tell if they were damaged by overvoltage, undervoltage or exactly what the cause was, but to this day I won't gig from a generator, even though the new ones have much better voltage regulating features. I could be wrong, but I don't think you did anything wrong, except fail to use a surge strip.

12. Been there with the "generator gigs" and it seemed like the B3 was always acting up.

I called the git player and he said that the power strip that he had me plug into IS a surge protector. A Belkin. He had said that night that it would have tripped the circuit breaker before any damage but I don't know how sensitive those are. Maybe not sensitive enough? Something happened...

I got an email from Jason at GK this afternoon and feel a lot better about this. I think I'm in good hands.

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    If it is of any consolation, I've been playing G-K for a few years and I've had my share of problems, but their customer service is really good. On a somewhat related note, bad power can fry amps, no doubt. I got two amps fried at the same venue: one, an Eden WT800, almost brand-new, smoke coming our of the back; and another, and Acoustic Image Clarus. Neither were being run loud or with mismatched cabs, or anything like that. This happened maybe a year or two apart, so I didn't put it together immediately, but apparently that venue's power has claimed many amp's lives. . . :mad:

14. Awesome.... that was quick. Thanks for the update. :)

Cheers

15. Thank you Jason @ GK! The power amp was toasted. They replaced it and did some upgrades to the preamp. They took VERY good care of me and I really appreciate it. Jason and GK rock!

16. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I wish some bean counter with access to the right numbers could compare and contrast the reliability of newer power amp designs versus old school designs. I can't help believing the old power amps with the huge iron transformers are more better than the new lightweight amps.

17. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    The whole power amp or a few output transistors, or didnt they say? That's what I'd be interested in knowing, unless they just replaced a PCB......

18. Thombas

Thombas Guest

Apr 28, 2009
    Sure. Hooked up to a 4x10 and a 1x15. :roflmao:

19. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    The 1x15 as pedestal to get 4x10 up at ear level, of course.

20. DTJ BASS

DTJ BASS

Apr 19, 2014
    Bloozbass were you stationed at FT Benning , ga