1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My New Hanewinckel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Lowbrow, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Pete Hanewinckel built this custom 5-string fretless short-scale bass for me. Top: crotch walnut; fingerboard: Pao Ferro; body: Swamp Ash. I just picked it up yesterday.

His work is gobsmackingly amazing. It is a stunningly beautiful bass that plays effortlessly and produces a wide swatch of sonically gorgeous sound.

If you ever get a chance to play a Hanewinckel, take it. You won't be disappointed.

Attached Files:

2. I love it,'cept for the scale length.To each his own.Good for you.

3. I have pretty small hands, so the 30" scale is perfect for me. BTW: I have it tuned EADGC. There is a drop tuner on the E and D is just about as far as I dare to go on a 30" instrument.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Very nice. What are the electronics?

Enjoy it.

5. Bartolini 18v preamps. Pete winds his own pickups.

6. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    +1. I'm drooling now but if it were 35" I'd have to change draws... TMI, haha.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Cool. I guess it's been a while since I checked his site. I thought he used Bart pickups as well.

The two Hanewinckels I've played were several years ago but both were incredibly well-made.

M

8. electricimprov

electricimprov

Mar 15, 2008
    So Cal
    I bet that baby sings! Congrats. I love my Hanies. :)

9. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Very nice!

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not my thing, but a very nice looking bass. It looks like a lot of care went into building it. Congratulations !

11. WOW!!! :eek:

This makes me even more excited for my Hanewinckel...

12. Cool - you have an Hanewinckel on order? Congratulations. What did you order?

I live near him, so I went over to his shop to place the order for the bass (choosing the woods was so fun!) and also to pick it up. He is a wonderful man and a master luthier. He makes instruments utterly tailored to the person ordering them. I saw a few in various stages of completion, and they were all amazingly different (and yet so Hanewinckel).

13. The link below provides the details regarding my bass. It's been a pleasure going over the details with Pete, and he's always very thorough with his responses.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530026&highlight=hanewinckel

I actually live close to Pete Skjold's shop, so I will order from him someday as well.

14. That looks to be a beautiful bass!

I got the in/out switch, BTW. I've only had the bass 3 days, but I've spent most of my time playing with the switch and pickup blends. So many colors! You'll be glad to have it on your bass.

15. Good to hear. It seems that switch with the handwound dual-coil pickups will make the bass very versatile. Can't wait!

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    That's a beautiful piece or woodwork. Congratulations!

17. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I've always said Pete excels at two things: 5+ strings and Fretless basses. You hit the jackpot with that one:D

18. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    That's one beautiful Hannie. Can you post some more pics ? I'd love to see the back :)

19. Beauteeeful!!

20. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Wow, a stunning bass. I bet it just roars. Do enjoy.