My new HD350!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexvs, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    I just recevied my new EBS HD350 head and an EBS 210 cabinet plus an EBS BassIQ envelope filter, and I must say that I'm most satisfied with the sound of the gear. However, there is one thing that bothers me. The noise. With volume and gain at noon, the noise is more than I expected, and with volume past 12 o'clock and gain at noon the noise is much more audible than I had expected... If there's any other HD350 users here, what's your experience with it? Is a certain amount of hum and hiss something that you have to live with?

Thank you!
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great setup. One of the best I´ve ever played. Congratulations!
    IMO EBS does not make noisy stuff. I would gess that it´s your bass or your cables that make the noise. Also the bright knob can amplify the noise quite well. Try turning it down as it´s boost only.

/Jocke :bassist:
  3. That would be my first guess too. What bass do you play? Active/passive? Does it have single-coil or humbucking pups? Is the noise constant or does it change when you move your bass?

Perhaps your new rig reveals some problems in your bass that remained hidden with your old amp; that´s the downside of hi-fi rigs. I remember the first time I played through a good tweeter equipped system. I couldn´t believe all the crap my bass was pushing out!
  4. I also play EBS a Fafner that is but also tried a HD350.
    Through the tweeter you can hear some noise but I must say I find these amps very very quiet....regarding noise that is.
  5. Alexvs

Oct 18, 2000
    Kalmar, Sweden
    Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

My first suspicion was that the bass was the source of the noise, but after unplugging the cable from the amp, it still made significant noise when I turned up the volume.... I didn't expect it to be dead quiet when cranked up, but I didn't expect this kind of noise either.

Also, when I turn up the tweeter level at the back of the cabinet, the tweeter hisses... alot! With the attentuator at 10 o'clock, it sounds like the amp is cranked both volume- and treblewise....

Thank you for your time and help!
  6. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How about the cable from the amp to the cab?
    Or have you tried different wall sockets? Could be bad wiring in your house? :meh:
  7. Well, after reading your second post I decided to test my rig (EBS-1 pre, Crown XLS402 power amp and EBS NEO-112 cab). Unsurprisingly I qot quite much hiss when I cranked everything (preamp gain, output volume, Crown volume and tweeter attenuator) all the way to eleven.

But that of course wasn´t a realistic setup, so I tried more sensible settings: gain at 10 o´clock, pre out at 12, Crown at 3 and tweeter at 12 (+-0db). There was hiss, but I could barely hear it under the Crown cooling fan. And on those settings I´m pretty freaking loud! BTW, the pre´s EQ was bypassed during both tests.

Obviously my rig is different from yours and it´s impossible to compare our perceptions of noise over the net. But I assume that our cabs have same kind of tweeters. In my case the noise was negligible, I can´t think of any practical situations where it would be an issue. So if your setup´s noise is really bothersome, I would point my finger to the amp (or the cable, as Jock suggested).
  8. bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Take the EBS IQ out of the chain. It raises the noise floor very much in front of the amp. Put it in the effect loop and the noise will have gone.

The noise also will be reduced if you turn the drive between 9:00 and 12:00. The EBS gear likes also very high input gain. Gain at 3:00 or 4:00 is absolutely normal for passiv Basses.