My new holiday gift - DPBB Custom Five String!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Okay, I know it's a little late at night, but Santa Claus just delivered my new Christmas present. It's a custom five string bass made by a company called DPBB (sorry, dunno what it stands for; but I'm guessing the second "B" stands for "Bass"). It's finished in a beautiful blue lacquer with an unknown wood body. DPBB calls it "Supertone" and it is a closely guarded secret. The fretboard is also made of this substance, and it has a maple bolt on neck. The electronics include one Lane Poor Soapbar (neck), one EMG J (middle), and one Bartolini P (bridge). It has an interesting switching system that allows you to select any combination of coils. So, for example, if I wanted to use the treble side coils of the bridge pickup, and then one of the coils of the Lane Poor, I could do that. Wow! The hardware is unmarked, but one really useful innovation is the "strap hooks". These hooks eliminate the need for strap lock systems by enabling you to securely and quickly attach any strap.

So far, I've only played this bass through my practice amp, but I have to say that I am extremely impressed. The output of the three pickups isn't quite the same, although they seem to have compensated for that to some degree with their "Megatone" preamp. The bass has three output jacks--one for each pickup. If you just want to run them in mono, you can simply use one output. For stereo, you can use a stereo cable on the master output, or two individual mono cables on the first two outputs. When you use all three outputs, you can use a stereo cable in the master output for one and three, and then a mono cable in output three, or you can use individual mono outputs. The possibilities are endless!

This is serious machinery for tech dummies like me, although it was pretty easy to figure out. However, if I want a simple Fender P or J tone, this bass has me covered. I just engage either the knob marked "P" or the one marked "J" and I have a great Fender tone! Wowzer! (When both knobs are on, there is no output).

There is another knob but I can't figure out what it does. I'm sure it is functional, and it is aesthetically pleasing as well.

These basses are kinda expensive, although DPBB did give me the "Ultraendorser" deal, so I paid a little bit less than most people would. They're definitely worth checking out though. I know a few other guys who have gotten their DPBBs and they have nothing but good things to say. I'm going to put all of my other basses up for sale pretty soon.

I promise that I will have pictures tomorrow. What a great Christmas gift for me!
  2. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    As you know I have had one of these for awhile and have been kind of busy so haven't gotten around to saying much about it. But so far its been a great versatile instrument. My Moon Climb 250 5er is hardly getting out of its case these days. and I find I can bring this one bass to gigs and have things covered where I used to always bring at least one back up. Can't wait to see pics of yours!
  3. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    How do you find the hyperhooks Jerome, I am groovin on them...
  4. The Hyperhooks Strap Retention System is off the hook! It's such a simple invention that really works! I can't even remember what I was doing before I had them. I LOVE THIS BASS!
  5. trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    You actually got one? Whoa!

I was cruising through Ochanomizu (the Sunset Blvd. axe-shop district of get the idea) and saw one at Kurosawa Bass Center. Too friggin rich for my blood, I'm afraid, but the output system looked like just the ticket for my recording needs!

Man, that's schweeeeeet! Next time I should give it a test run... Oh, dear. GAS!
  6. How 'bout some pics.. uh?
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sounds interesting. I can't wait to see it.
  8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I've heard some rumblings of these DPBB's before.
  9. I see in the floor plan that DPBB will have a booth at NAMM. I hope someone grabs some photos.

These folks are generally as outgoing as Walter Woods.

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Let hope they pop to the surface before they dilute their own market with a Cort version.
  11. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    You are the MAN funky. You always seem to come up with the gear I want and is out of reach for me. You are my personal hero!
  12. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Nice !!! :)

I'm very intrigued by the strap sytem you speak of FC..... can't wait to see the pics !!!

How come you get all the basses ???

13. FC, you mean, you actually have one? Damn, I've been searchin' all over for one. They is da shiznit!!!!! Major congrats dude!

Cheers rOdy
  14. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'd heard that this might be coming down the pipe...saw a few pics of it a while back, in various stages of production. Even got to talk to some of the crew that constructed it.

I think it's gonna set the bass world on it's ear!
  15. TheFish

Jun 19, 2002
    Seems like anyone who's anybody has one of these, and everyone else can't find them! I keep hoping to snag one. Hey Funky - any chance there may eventually be a DPBB 5er?
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sounds like a nice bass. Can't wait to see pictures.
  17. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    A buddy of min used to hav a bas like that! (lost it in a house fire:mad: )

But he had his 3 pickup's set for the soapbar ran right to the amp, the Bart ran to a RIC-O-SOUND box, and the third to a MIDI

made for some really wierd stuff!

Merry Chrismas, all!
  18. pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I've actually held this exact bass during the construction phase and I can honestly say it is beyond words.
  19. So you're saying this bass is less than 150 miles away from me?

The mind reels. . .
  20. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    FC, udaman....I want those hooks too. Let me stop by and check it out. Must sound really good thru your avalon U5 huh!!! Say hello to Mr. D for me! I think that's the Luthier's name right?