Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Home Brewed Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Here's a bass I finished a few weeks ago. It has an alder body, maple neck, bloodwood lined fretless fingerboard, with bloodwood nut. It's totally passive with Seymour Duncan Vintage Single Coils. I've played several gigs with it and recorded with it and it sounds great. Here's a couple poor pics. I hope to have better one's soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wow. I'm not too keen on the headstock, but I LOVE that body design!

3. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    COOL, should be active though ;)

4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I actually like both. The first thing I said to myself when I saw the sparkling white was "oooo pretty". It's good looking. I'm sure some will think it's glitzy, but I think it looks real good.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The headstock... Several people don't like it. i'm not crazy about it either but every time I try to redesign it my hand and eye seem to come to this shape. I may be stuck with it. I wish I had better pics of the body so you could see some of the contours.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I'll try to get a full pic tomorrow. I thought I had one but I can't find it. Thanks for the comments :)

7. Very nice! Might I ask, did carve the body and neck yourself, or did you buy the parts, say a neck and body blank from Warmoth? It looks very nice! I'd be interested in hearing your methods.

How do you like that wood nut? I've been thinking about doing this on my next fretless project!

8. -like it a lot! I see a lot of 'homebrewed' stuff on TB that brings to mind the old saying, 'if you can't say something nice(or if you haven't finished something better yourself :rolleyes: ), don't say anything at all', but that's not the case here. It reminds me somewhat of the way Benevente Vintage Vortex basses look like a morphed/warped Fender(in a good way- I like Bennies, too). More!

Edit:One slight criticism- I like the general shape of the headstock, & I don't know how important this is, but if I could change anything, I'd make it so the strings ran absolutely straight to the tuner's post(rather than slightly spreading out).

9. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Nice, certainly beautiful.

I think a Maple or ebony board would suit it better tho.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I think Bassteban is on the right track about the headstock. It would look worlds better if you squared the sides in just enough to have a straight pull on all strings.

Keep the basic look, but less extreme.

The body, on the other hand, is awesome. Don't change a thing. It rocks.

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will definitely try something different with the headstock on the next one.

The fingerboard. The pics don't quite show it but the board is very red and I really like how the red and white of the body and white fretlines work together. Very strawberries and cream.

Build methods. I cut the body and neck out with a jigsaw, do the scarf joint on a table saw, shape the neck with a surform and spokeshave. Lots of hand work.

12. I like it alot, and think the headstock is just fine. I've seen worse string splays then that for sure.

You should be proud, it's a great looking bass. Is bloodwood inherently strong enough to be a nut? I know nothing about it.

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Bloodwood is extremely hard and works great as both a nut and fingerboard. It seems to sing as well if not better than ebony but is warmer and lacks the clacky highend that I sometimes hear in ebony.

14. Good to know, thanks. It really has a nice appearance.

Do you know anything about lacewood? It has a similar color, but a really neat circular type of pattern thru the grain...I have a one-off piece that I wanna square up (it's not huge tho), but don't know what it's good for.

Mon

15. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Nice stuff! I'm digging the lack of pointy ends :D

16. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Very nice, both shape and colours!
    How about some sound clips?

I've been thinking lately that the red/white of a bloodwood / hollywood combo would look sweet - you probed it to me. Thanks.

17. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's beautiful! Props to you man!

18. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Extremely nice job, you should be really proud of that :D

And I like the headstock shape a lot ..... :cool: I agree with Mon Rominee, I've seen many with a much greater degree of string angle. Sorry if I'm not up to speed on this, but is this your first build?

19. weeding

weeding

May 17, 2005
    Massive props. You've managed to draw from the typical J-Bass, but turn in into something way cooler than your average design. I'd love to have that sitting in my hands any day of the week.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indeed, a straight pull would also make it narrower (to me, it's kinda "fat" looking), and then I think it'd be damn sharp looking.

Body and pickgaurd rock, nothing to beef about on those. Next time, make a black one!