Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Iamp 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Feb 3, 2004.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Got the new Euphonic Audio Iamp 500 today. This thing is sweeeet! So far I've only done some bedroom noodling but this thing gets really loud and is tonally very flexible. I've never been a big fan of contour switches but I see why people rave about the ones on this preamp- very usable and musical. Its just slightly larger than I was expecting at 14.5"x9"x3.5" and weighs in at about 13lbs. I think I have finally achieved my goal of having a moderately loud rig that I can move up a flight of stairs in one trip. I have a few gigs this week and next and will post more as I use it if anyone is interested. Oh one thing - I can't seem to drive the input section into clipping with my passive jazz style bass. Is this common with EA's amps and should I be concerned about not getting full power from the amp?

2. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Congratulations! :bassist:

Now show us some pics :D

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Sorry no camera. I'll see if I can borrow one and post some. It looks just like the Iamp 350.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    On my iAMP 800, I can clip out the input meter pretty easily with my passive Thunderbird. In fact, I can't get past 7-8 without it clipping (which seems about right, really). You might want to e-mail Gary about that.

Just one comment I'd like to throw at you. The EQ section, which really does seem pretty logical when you look at it, did take me a while to get comfortable with. Being very accustomed to the Bass/Treble shelving knobs, and knob-based parametric EQ's, I guess it took a while for my brain to assimilate. At any rate, I had an EQ breakthrough the other night, and as a result, I am enjoying my iAMP 800 on a whole new level. And it goes without saying that the folks at EA will give you as good of service as anyone on the planet.

Enjoy!

Tom.

Oh yeah, what cab(s) are you using it with?

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

What was this EQ breakthrough you speak of Tom?

6. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I have extensive experience with the semi parametric EQ on my GK mbe150 but I would like to hear what you have discovered, Tom.
    For speakers I'm using an EA Cxl 112 and a no name 112 (which actually sounds pretty good).
    I'll email EA regarding the input level issue, thanks.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It was really just an adjustment in the way that I approach EQ-ing. Basically, I got a bit more extreme, and combined multiple band moderate boosts with a low end cut. In addition, I tended away from the contour switches, which had been my starting point before. Then, after getting a good tone with the parametric EQ's, I started playing with the contour buttons (I think the only one I am using right now is the Bright button).

What is interesting is that I started getting more aggressive because I was using the cabs at one of my bands' practice rooms (Mesa Boogie Powerhouse, Jr. and a Peavey 1820 loaded with Madison and Selenium drivers), which are a far cry from the tone of my gigging cabs, and I was trying to get a nice tone to cut through the two half stacks I was competing with. So, the backup (to the backup, to the backup, ...) cabs are really what inspired me. Not a bad sounding rig at all, mind you, just tonally far different from my other cabs.

Tom.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    To possibly make my above response a bit more useful, I went through the process of dialing up a fairly robust (+8 to +10 db) boost, then began sweeping the frequencies until it sounded better. Then, I backed off on the boost to a more reasonable level (+4 to +6 or so), and moved on to the next band. The iAMP 800 has a very robust low end output, and the Madison 18" that I put in that 1820 is a monster, so I needed a low end cut, which was quite minor, but helped add to the overall clarity a good deal.

Kind of unimpressive for a "breakthrough", I know, but I was monkeying around with smaller boosts/cuts on just one or two bands before, and switching to the tactic of using a bigger boost to find my frequency, but then backing off so that it didn't overwhelm the rest of the tone is what really helped me.

Hope this helps some, Tom.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    when i had my iAMP350, i found that drastically boosting or cutting whatever EQ knob, and just sliding the frequency slider until i heard a desired boost or cut, helped me better hear and understand which frequency lets me reach my tone. i do this with whatever semi or fully parametric EQ whether on my old Demeter HBP-1 or current Aguilar DB680.

sounds kinda simpleton, but it works for me, cause its not like i know exactly which frequency is the "magic" frequency to suddenly make my tone jump out at me. but it makes you realize how awesome and versatile, those semi parametric EQ setups can be for adapting your sound to your situation.

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I totally agree. In fact, I had been using this, or a similar approach for years with my Eden Navigator pre. But with the Navigator, I liked the sound set flat so well, that I generally only used the parametrics to correct for something else (feedback from URB, room anomalies, etc.). But, since the flat tone of the iAMP 800 isn't quite as upper-mid or high end present as I would like, it required a bit more tweaking. Focusing in on just one band didn't do the trick, and quite frankly I think that starting with the contour buttons and then dialing in the EQ was a mistake, for me at least.

My breakthrough was really just how I approached the iAMP, as opposed to how I approach EQ-ing in general.

Tom.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, that's mainly how i use the parametric stuff. the aggie tone sounds great as is, but you'll have that band mix or room that just doesnt sit right.

ahhh, the power of the parametric.

12. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Thanks for the tips, guys. There are a lot of knobs on this puppy and it will take a bit of gettng used to. That's one of the reasons I moved on from my Aggie DB659. Sometimes in diffucult rooms I just wasn't able to dial in the sound I wanted.

13. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What is the street price on the iAmp500?

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Tom,
    Glad you had the breakthrough - although the technique you used has been posted on the EA site for a few months now :p. Quoting from the site:

My 500 came yesterday (decided to get the gig bag after all). I have not plugged it in yet. Hopefully today.

Mike

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What! You want me to RTFM first! :rolleyes:

Seriously, that probably would have been a great place to start. But when a toy like an iAMP 800 arrives at your doorstep, the first step is usually not to go online...

That's eerie how closely his wording approximates my "breakthrough." I feel like such a moron... Or is that genius? :smug:

At any rate, I have newfound love and respect for my mighty iAMP, and now I must get it a proper gig bag!

Tom.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Tom,
    Actually the wording was mine. and great minds DEFINITELY think alike

Mike

17. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I just got one of the new iAMP gig bags in for a 500 customer, took a couple shots of it with a new iAMP 500 peeking out:

[​IMG]

It's very nice, padded like the covers, fits like a glove, and the zippered cable compartment is handy. They will have the same bags for iAMP 800s in 3-4 weeks.

Bob Gollihur
    Eclectic Bass, personal bass page - http://www.eclecticbass.com/bass.html
    My Double Bass LINKS page - http://www.urbbob.com/basslink.html
    Wordsmith Associates Music- http://www.urbbob.com

"Life is too short for bad tone."

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for sharing, Bob. That looks very nice. Is that a shoulder strap I see? That would be a good feature to have.

Tom.

19. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yep, an adjustable shoulder strap as well as the pair of handles.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I can't wait! I love that crushed red velvet interior! EA covers are the best (even if the cutouts for the VL-208 covers don't quite line up).

Tom.