Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new iAmp hits Aussie shores! (review)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottyBoy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Thanks to fellow TB member SCT1422 (Steve from N.Y) who was gracious enough to send to Australia, I just received my EA iAmp 500. It was only a few weeks old and Steve did me a great price.

This amp was to replace an almost new GK 1001RB-II that I had imported to power two Aguilar GS112's. I am playing a Warwick Corvette 5 fretted.

I was never happy with the GK from the get go. Don't get me wrong, its a great amp, it just didn't pair well with the aggies for the sound I was looking for. I was looking for tight low end, punchy and zippy highs. I played through some quad boxes and it absolutely rocked but through the aggies it just didn't seem right. When ever I tried to add more punch - it got a bit naisley. There is so much on these forums on the Aggies flabby mids, I think thats what I was experiencing and the GK just didnt have the flexibility to tighten them up.

When the iAmp came up - I just couldn't resist. I was hoping to coax the mids i needed to add from the greater tone control. And was really looking forward to lite weight.

Man am I glad I took the risk to get it here :hyper: A simple flick of the switch on the back and change of fuse was all it took to get it going on our 240 volt. As soon as I played my first note through it, flat eq, I knew this was more suited to my sound.

After playing with the mids and presets a bit - I was in tonal heaven. I am able to get the sound out the aggies that the GK just didn't have the ability with its set frequency bands.

The iAmp seems deep - I seem to roll off even more low end than I did with the GK to tighten it up. I haven't played out with it yet and I can't wait to do so. It might take me a while to get my sound but I am so happy and confident with this amp.

Its a keeper!! :D :D

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice,

its a killer amp for sure. EQ wise, try centering the low mids frequency slider around 180Hz, and you'll start to get a really nice punch outta those Aggies. :cool:

3. Thanks mate

I'll try that out :D

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice score! I'm glad that it's working out for you.

Tom.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been using my 500 a lot lately and really enjoy just about everything about it! It's a fine amp; you made a great choice. Congrats! :cool:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Welcome aboard mate. It only gets better from here as you use it more.

-Mike

7. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Scott... Thank you.. I'm very glad you're happy.. :bassist: Steve.....

8. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    hey scottyboy, welcome to the Aussie iAmp club.
    ... i dont think there's too many of us!

9. Hey Ash - Good stuff! I thought I might be the only one :p

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Scotty, ash....did you guys send an e-mail to Mike Dimin so you can get on the Players page over at the EA website? More info is in the thread stickied to the top of the Amps forum.

-Mike

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey man, nice nab.

I want an EA for a lighter alternative, alas, funds don't permit ATM. I'm allready GAS'ing a Warwick Streamer Stg II, Vette LTD 02 and 04 AND an Eden Nav. Plus the new MM bass's are coming out soon, oh gawd.

If you don't mind, would you care to PM me the cost of the amp, plus it's shipping etc getting it here?

Thanks!

12. Cool - I'll check it out