Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Ibanez AFR105

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Hey people - just thought I would show off my new bass that I purchased from fellow TBer Slowburnaz.A 1991(?) Ibanez AFR105 designed by Rolf Spuler and hand made in the US.This is my ultimate bass.Modern looking, light,magnetic and piezo pu,great wood, great tone, ebony fboard with 19mm spacing.
    BTW hats to Slowburnaz.Bought this from him in Tucson Arizona and I live in Australia and he was nothing but helpful the whole way.Thankyou very much man!
    Just one more thing - there is very little info on the net about these basses.Does anyone know anything about them or approx how much they were worth new?There is some guy on the British ebay site saying they were worth 1800GBP (about $4400 Aust dollars) new.Surprised me.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Man, that neck looks monstrous for a 5 string! Looks nice! I never saw one before except those Luthite material models. How does it play? Post clips?

3. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey, Jake! Looking good! So, I've gotta ask... does it play with an Australian accent now? :p

Glad you like it.

BTW, DWBass... the neck does look quite large, but it's mostly due to the smallish body. I LOVED the profile of that neck, and it's probably what I'll have on my custom D. Huff bass when it's made.

Chris

4. That bass looks awesome man, I love the finish on it! I'm curious about how it sounds, I've never actually seen one of these before. Looks great though.

Robin

5. LordHar

LordHar

Mar 31, 2003
    I've got the 4 string version and totally love it. Whenever I can get my hands the 5 string version there won't be much hesitation :p

6. Thats pretty awesome.. I've been interested in one of those for awhile now... sure wouldn't mind talking one for a spin. If you can get around to it i would love to hear some clips. Great bass!

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    that one looks awesome. i have never liked the luthite ones, maybe it was because of that ugly grey finish it had. yours looks really beautiful.

8. Tung

Tung

Jun 26, 2003
    That is a AFR305. The 105 were made from Koa or some other similar wood. The 305 was a maple body.

I have chatted with Rolf Supler about them. He does not make basses anymore. Rolf is working as an engineer in Switzerland. These were made in Japan from a prototype that he built.

I used to own one. They are a cool bass. Enjoy.

9. Tung

Tung

Jun 26, 2003
    Forgot to mention it but they are worth about 1000-1200 maybe a little more if you get one in pristine shape. I am gauging this on what I have seen them sell on ebay for.

10. Hey guys - thanx for the replys.Australian accent?You funny bugger.At least you didnt ask me if it could say "G'day mate"(Paul Hogan has a lot to answer for).Bit hard for me to post sound clips at the moment but it can generally get any sound.For me it produces a very punchy clear mid scooped sound that I overdrive for a sound very close to Rex Brown from Pantera.Very clean with smooth highs and big bottom.The neck width is quite wide but offset by a very shallow but very rigid neck profile.
    BTW Rolf Spuler is starting to make guitars again(www.rolfspuler.com I think).I have emailed him and he got back to me very quickly asking if I liked the bass and what I thought could be improvements.