Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Jazz, and my fretless P project! PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, May 13, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Sorry for the not-so-good quality of them.

The one with my jazz was taken in my little sisters room, and she didn't really take a good one.

The P is just... ugly right now cause of the p-guard.

The Jazz I just got 3 weeks ago. It is a MIM Fender Deluxe J with active pick ups... It was a deal too. GC wanted $360 for it new, so my dad could not pass it up... "Here son, you've improved enough for a decent performing bass." "Whoo hoo!"

It is a great bass.

The P bass is the first bass I ever had. It is a Squier Affinity P bass. I got it like 2 years ago in a squier bass pak. Best present I ever got for christmas. It sounded really good for it's price, the pick ups were lame but that was it's only vice.

With the frets out, it has like this natural... chorusy flangish effect. It is wierd, but beautiful.

So, here is the J...

[​IMG]

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    And the fretless P...

I sanded the paint off a few weeks ago, and found some Bondo marks or something.

I am going to get it repainted, so paint job suggestions are welcomed.

EDIT:

If you are wondering how I de-fretted it, me and my friend Travis (Awsome bassist, btw) heated the frets with a soldering iron, then wedged them out with a screw driver.

we then got 600 (some where around 600) sand paper and sanded out the rough spots that the frets left.

When that was done, we got would puddy, stuck that in the slots.

Then, we got some polyurothane, stuff that took like 7 hours to dry, and applied about 7 coats of that stuff. Sanded it a bit more, wiped it with steal wool, and it is no so tough, i can slap on it and it does not do anything the the poly. Not even scratch it.

It is an awsome bass.

[​IMG]

3. BONZOBASS

BONZOBASS

May 7, 2003
    i too de-fretted a p-bass)japanese generic copy made by ROCKO) though i am pleased on how the de-fretting came out i am not especially pleased w/ the sound of a frett-less p-bass,IMO i think j/basses sound better frett-less than p-basses do. thats a nice J bass you got there,i remember when i was playing drums for a year my dad took me to this dud'es house one nite out of the blue and bought me a my first "real" drum set(now that i'm older that guy had a couple to many drum sets for sale than he should of had,CAN YOU SAY STOLEN?)
    anyway it was a nice feeling to have a nice instrument to play on,and even though i had a new set i still sucked pretty bad untill i realized that the music came from me only the sound comes from the instrument:bassist:

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    how do you steal drum sets? They are like... hugeish.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Id be tempted to leave the P as-is, with no paint.
    Looks cool with the natural finish.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    looks like you did a pretty good job, there, mike. very nice :)

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    thanks. It plays really smoothly. They sell this spray on diamond coat epoxy... i am going to get some.

The neck already shines like a calm lake on a summer morning, but the diamond coat is gonna make it even shinier than that,

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    yah, the P looks good natural. I am a good fan of natural wood, maybe with a transparent finish or something.....

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I might be able to get a flame job for it though... yummy.

10. Duuuude! I read Killdar's post, and this came to mind!

I LOVE TRANSLUCENT TOPS!

Blue dyed flamed maple tops.. oooh baby oh baby!!

The basses looks really nice, enjoy them!

11. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    It's sort of hard to see in your pic but hows the wood grain? Is there any way you could get a better resoluted pic of the body? I'm thinking of stripping my Squire but i'm dreading finding that it's composed of 3 or 4 pieces.
    How bad was it stripping the paint?

12. Yeah they are some shweet basses...i'm loving the jazz big time, especially the pickguard...and for some strange reason, I KNEW you would look like that....I dunno, something about the name Mike Money. lol. :p

13. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    sweet looking bass!!! Go Squire!! :p

Just a few questions... for the fretless, do you still use regular strings? In the various articles I've read about defretting, they all used flatwound strings afterwards... but does the polyeuro-stuff do the job?

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I still use rounds. That polyurothane can handle anything... I slap on it all the time and nothing has happened to it yet.

It is really hard to get off in some places. I got a blister on my finger from the sand paper heating up so much. We were using 80 grid, 100, and 150... at first by electric sander, then by hand.

Hand works best because you can apply pressure to a smaller area, thus the paint comes off much faster. it is work though. it took about 6 hours.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Hmm... never thought of that...

16. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    How exactly would you paint the bass? would you DIY or pay someone else to do it? Doing any kind of burst seems like it'd require at least some experience painting, though it sounds like a great project (if done well, though I guess a project can't be great unless it is done well).

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    family friend has a car body shop... he has painted guitars before, and offered to do it for me.