Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Jazz Bass has a problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys, I just bought a 75 reissue bass. I didn't notice it in the store, probably because of all the extranious noise, but the tone control is really noisy. It seems almost like the only thing it does is control the volume of static.

Since the knob itself works, (the volume of the static goes up and down), is it likely to be a bad cap or maybe just the grounding?

Thanks!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A shielding issue, perhaps? Lower end Fenders aren't shielded from RF interference at all, AFAIK. Where do you hear the static? Everywhere or just close to the computer monitor, TV or fluorescent lights?

Ground buzz should go away if you touch the strings... at least mine does. :p

3. do you think the tone control is noisy or is it quieting an extisting noise? i doubt its the control is bad, will this happen in different rooms?

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If it a new '75 Re-Issue, it costs about $1300. Not so low end. LOL :)

The pot might just be dirty. You might just need to spray it w/cleaner.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Then it would suck even more if it wasn't shielded.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hey Gabu, do you wear a cell phone, pager or watch? Are you set up near a PC? The single coil on my Hot Rod will pick up just about any electronic signal around when I move the tone control to towards the high end. When I dial down to the low end, the noise goes away :confused:

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi everyone.

Thanks for your replies so far. :)

I don't think it is shielding in this case, as I am not too close to any electronic devices when I hear it, not even the amp. Also, it is very quiet with the volumes turned up all the way. Only the tone control produces static.

It's not a new MIA 75 reissue, it's a older MIJ 75 reissue. It's really nice looking with a natural body, and white pickguard. I ordered the pickup and bridge covers also. :)

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm! That's interesting. I think I was probably wearing my watch. I don't think I was wearing my cel phone. But now that I am thinkng about it... That could have been only a couple of feet away.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's the truth. FWIW, it's supposed to be an exact replica of a bass from that year. Should it be sheilded Yes, but then you'll have some Fender nut going aroung saying!!!! HEY, This isn't a '75 RI!!!!":p

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I will check it in the house when I get home from work. So far I have only played it in the garage. Thanks for the idea. :)

11. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Gabu,

My MIJ '75 reissue has shielding plates inside both pickup cavities and inside the control cavity. That said, my tone pot was super scratchy, athough functional. It needed a bit of pot cleaner (available all over the place, even Radio Shack).

I'm still surprised at how nice this bass sounds and plays. I haave the rosewood fretboard with mop inlays. Which board did you get?

-Shin

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I'll post a pic when I get home. It's a Natural Finish with a white pickguard and maple neck. It also includes the mop inlays. I don't have my bridge cover yet, though the pickup cover arrived yesterday.