Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New JP Plume Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Well, the bass finally made it through customs and into my grubby mitts on Thursday.

All I can say is that the bass is AMAZING!!! I remember the feeling of awe that I had when I opened the case. It was the same as with my Dingwall, I had seen some really great pictures of it, but when I opened the case my jaw hit the floor. It was the same with the Plume.

It is a beautiful sounding instrument! I really love how it is so responsive to subtle playing nuances. It also looks like a monster. My friend came to my room and said it looked like it weighed 10kg. Fortunately it is about the same weight as my Dingwall, maybe a little less (4.8kg). I love the wood on the bass and it is amazing how much better I feel it looks with the wenge accent strip. Overall it is flawless, beautiful and sounds great. I imagine it will sound better as my intonation improves. Lucky for me I have a tuner built into my iAmp that helps me out. I am trying to learn some Mark Egan right now, but I think my time would be better spent practicing playing scales and arpeggios in tune.

Many thanks to JP. He is a truly gifted luthier and a wonderful person. Definitely the most responsive and flexible luthier I have worked with (the others have all been great but JP comes across more friendly).

I am totally stoked about this bass. I have been playing it a tremendous amount since I got it. I really should work on my thesis, but I'd rather work on my intonation.

JP wanted some pics of the bass with the Dingwall. I'll put a few up, but I am looking for a better place to take the pictures than in my dorm room. Hopefully I'll put up some better ones soon.

Geoff

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: Tastey :bassist:

That fretless looks killer! Great work JP / Great score Geoff!!!

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yipes. That thing is amazing.

Congrats.

4. glad you like it,looks great! :hyper:

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Geoff... JP told me you didn't like the bass and decided to ship her to me :hyper: OK...anytime when you're ready!!!

Judging from your post... I guess not :meh: Enjoy my friend! More waiting for me :help:

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the new bass!!! I love the look and flow of the JP single-cuts...great work. Also, be sure to keep your eye's open for the next issue of the TB newsletter. JP Basses will be the next featured builder in the "Luthiers Spotlight" column....for all of you JP fans.

7. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    JP, is the meilleur!!

8. That is really, really nice. I love that top. One of the nicest pieces of Koa I've seen.

9. Geoff:
    Why do you get all the totally righteous basses. Its not fair :bawl:

Wow...What an Amazing looking bass and I love how you have it compared to the Prima. So as a novice fretless player what do you think? How does it compare tonewise to the Prima, particularly the articulation and sonority of each note. Also playability.

Lastly, hopefully you saw that your Prima has a few cloned brothers out there. (I posted a thread about it yesterday)

Congrats
    frank

10. Wow!!

Nice one Geoff [and JP]

Regards

Matthew
    :hyper:

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Excellent, Geoff and JP.

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Wow! It's beautiful!

13. It looks stunning! You have a collection to be proud of!

BTW, what are the pickups? JP's? and the electronics? I'm sure you mentioned all this in the "construction phase" but I was sleeping.

If it plays like it looks, you gotta keep it!!

14. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Congratulations Geoff.

Bass looks great. Glad ur happy with it

Dre'

15. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    JP Pickups and custom E-Pro/JP BTBM-01 preamp.

Peace, JP

16. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Geoff, I'm very happy you love the bass (...and the case ;) )

Thanks a lot for the kind words about me!

Peace, JP

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, side to side, I actually like the JP better. Funny, since that Dingwall is one of the prettiest basses I've ever seen, period.

JP knows his stuff.

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    JP, you are the man! I've loved every single bass of yours I've ever seen.

Geoff,
    Congrats on the new bass. Wow, there's a JP in my backyard. :p

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    very tasty.

looks like the JP has ass cheeks from behind.

GORGEOUS!

f

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Congrats! Is the transition back and forth between Novax and standard fretting confusing?