Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Ken Smith Six String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Damian Coccio, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    Hi Folks,
    I usually dont make a habit of making posts about new basses I buy, because Im usually too busy playing or writing music or something, but this is worthy of mention.

Last Thursday I visited the Ken Smith Factory to try some KS basses and possibly buy one. The tour was very detailed and it instilled a real appreciation for the art. Ken has a wood selection stock that would blow your mind! These basses really are meticulously hand made. All of the guys working there were friendly, but very serious and passionate about Lutheiry.

Most of my time there was spent trying basses and talking to Ken About tone woods and Lutheiry. Ken literally spent hours on various lutheiry subjects and helping me to detect tonal differences between the basses in my range. Ken has a knowledge and a passion for Lutheiry that is inspiring.

I ended up with a BSR6EG. Quilt maple top/back over walnut with a mahogany core (5piece). The necks is 5 piece maple and morado with a Macassar ebony fingerboard. This bass is tonally amazing, very playable, and absolutely beautiful. The high end has a beautiful articulation wich I have not heard on any of the other basses I have owned or built. The low end is solid, but really rich. The B string is fat and solid and yes the scale is 34". The electronics are very quiet and easy to setup. The frequency choices on the bass, mid and treble controls are perfect. Since the string spacing is quite wide it is taking a little getting used to, but even that has advantages in making slapping a little easier.

So far I am extremely satisfied.
    Anyone who has never played a KS should really check them out.

2. i totally agree with all of your statements regarding the tone of that bass with those woods. i have those exact same woods on an older BT model 6 string and the adjectives 'full' and 'rich' definately describe the low end characteristics of that bass well. mine is a quilt maple top and back though. and i agree with your statements regarding the high frequencies as well. my experience is that it is very difficult to hide a smith in the mix either live or on tape, mostly because of how the upper mids are voiced. i would say it is one of the most articulate sounding instruments i've played when playing either fingerstyle or slap. anyway, congrats, and post a pic!

3. hmm. i didn't read your post carefully enough, you have a quilt maple top and back too. :D

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ya know Nuwavedc...there's a rule here on TB. Y'get a bass, you show the pics. Otherwise, it's no fun for the rest of us living vicariously through other's purchases. ;):D

Cough up the pics man!

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah Ken smith basses are very tasty.. I have always enjoyed them

6. Damian Coccio

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    LOL! I can relate to that.

I did try to post the pic, somehow it failed I am trying again with this post. Sorry if quality is low.

7. Damian Coccio

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
  8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    as always, impressive bass from KSB!

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    mmmmm.....

tasty...

Peace
    Nick

10. What a beauty! Does that have an unusual contour on the back of the neck heel? It looks a bit different from what I'm used to seeing on Smiths, somehow...

Mike

11. Damian Coccio

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    The contour is really smooth. There is another piece of morado under the maple on the neck back which may have made it look different.