My new Kingston Fretless 5..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Sep 29, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL

It arrived the other day. There are a few things it needs, and I was wondering if you guys could help.

1.Needs new strings - answer: New Strings (duh). Probably TI's, Powerbass (rounds, thats right rounds on a fretless, sue me).

2.Heavy buzzing on the B and low E string when played even mildly rough. - answer: ?? I dont know, I like the low action, very playable, but the buzzing is a little bummer.

3.Some notes sound off when playing. I tuned it up with a tuner, but sometimes when I play an open string in relation to the 5th fret of the other string, the open string sounds off a little. - Answer: ??

4.Despite all these problems, I know it must be set up by a professional, but I still can't put it down cuz it is such a neat instrument. Very nice, and beautiful guitar from Mr. Tobias (and his asian partners.) I ordered a Black Pearloid pickguard for it directly from him, to give it a Stefan Lessard Modulus Flea look.

Any help , thanks? I will have clips through all my new rig stuff: Ampeg svt410HLF, BBE Sonic Max. , EA iamp500.
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    just get a setup done and that should take care of all those problems minus the strings. nice bass and congrats
  3. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Even the open strings sounding off?
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Is that one of the MTDs with the Buzz Fieten tuning? (It would have a stamp on the back of the headstock) If so, that might be the reason the open strings sounds a little different in relation to the fretted strings--you might consider getting the special BF-calibrated tuner for setting the intonation.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--if the 5th fret position note is different on a fretless than the open string, it is more than likely "operator error." ;)

As for strings, I was a strong proponent of Powerbass strings for years, but I have switched my allegiance to their Superalloy strings. They are still rounds, but have the smaller windings like the Jazz Rounds. I highly recommend them for fretless.
  6. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    And that off sounding tuning is a feature of dead strings, at least in the guitar world. A new set should help a bit.
  7. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Heh, its lined.. and i've played all around the 5th fret, and still, the open one sounds dead or something.. so yea, i'm betting with everyone else that new strings will help me out.
  8. rememebr to play on the line, not before it
  9. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    **** **** DAMMIT!

I asked Mr. Tobias if he could send me a Black Pearloid pickguard for this baby. I sent him $17, and he sent me a pickguard that doesn't fit. Its the same shape as the original white one, but is a bit bigger, and doesn't even fit between the end of the neck, and the pickup. It SUCKS! Its a pretty pickguard, but its just way to big for the spot its supposed to fit.
    My craftsmanship sucks too much to try and fit it to the right size. Im a little mad.

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    well not like u have much to lose, or tell mr. kingston it didnt fit.
  11. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I did, and he told me to send it back, and he will fix it, or find me one that fits. Gotta respect that.
  12. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    And about playing on the fretlines, instead of in front of them...
    That I did not know, and now have to get used to. Another thing I have to get used to is no Fret-dots. I find it easy to get lost trying to play a groove on this, and have to get used to it.. Have to get used to both playing ON the line, and without dots. :(

But in the end, I'm sure when I get used to it, it will be a good character builder, for when I finally get a fretless Boutique bass.
  13. no fret dots? do kingstons have them on the side of the neck? My new Fretless 5 saratoga does...btw, Mike Tobias is one of the coolest ppl i've met
  14. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Yea, there are side dots.. But when playing something, that has a nice groove that repeats, I get a little lost where 3 & 4 are.. heh, its weird, but I've never played without dots on the fingerboard.

I can however play 'Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes' .. it sounds awsome on this bass.. But again, sometimes i get frets mixed up when playing.