1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new La Scala is a dream bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rdwhit, May 15, 2006.

1. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Just got my new standard la scala 2 weeks ago and have to rave about it.I got it through Nick LLoyd, and I sugjest that anyone in the mid west looking for one do the same.I sold my 1880 "cheap" carved bass for $9,000-great bass but needed lots of TLC.Also it didn't work for me ergonomicaly.I hated to sell it after 10 years,but I injured my left arm and shoulder gradually with it.The la scala is the most comfortable bass for me out there.I thought I might have to quit playing until I found the la scala.I bought the hybrid and have flatchrome steel strings for multi purpose playing(thanks for the advise,Nick).The sound is great both acoustic and amplified,arco or pizz.(check out the web sight). I can play jazz,broadway,bluegrass,symphony or chamber music and always feel like I have the correct bass for the job now.Way to go Arnold and Will !!( and Nick!! )IMHO,if you want an old german bass under 10,000,simply buy the new la scala for way less than 10,000 and with no cracks---ok,next I hope to get my hands on the fully carved model------RDWHIT-Rob whitmer(aka Danger Bob)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Glad you're digging the axe so much, and I hope to see it soon. Everywhere I take mine, people's jaws just hit the floor. But I'm especially glad that it's helping the physical stuff get better since that's been going on for so long now. We should do a hang in the next few weeks and compare all three LaScalas (Nnick just delivered my new ply model today).

3. youngheo

youngheo

Jul 30, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    questions to Mr.Fitzgerald

Can you please describe the differences between hybrid and laminated version of la scala when you have chance?

I am having real hard time deciding which model i should order.

thanks in advance.!!:help:

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'll be happy to once I've had a chance to get to know my hybrid's "little sister". Since I only got her about two hours ago, my first impressions wouldn't be worth much yet.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Congratulations, R....and welcome to the La Scala club. I'll be interested to hear how the FCS strings work out for you.

There's a lot of talk about how loud the Cleveland is here, and I'm sure that's true...but the La Scala can more than hold its own in most situations. I play without the amp more often than not, and it works fine. It's also great to have a bass that sounds so good with just the microphone if need be.

6. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    ll

7. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    sorry about that strange reply-let's try again
    OK-thanks MJ.The FCS is a lower tention string,similar to wieges(sp ?).They seem to me to be a bright arco string with enough ring to work as a jazz string,especially on the LC which is built to have lots of growl & punch and sustain.They seem to me to have the best of what I like about wieges and obligatos,sort of a cross between the two.These strings on this bass make for the best crossover bass I've ever found.The only reservation I'd watch out for would be a little less volume due to the low tention-though not as weak as some coreli sts.

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Now having played and listened to both my Cleveland and Chris's Hybrid LaScala side by side I don't think the volume/output is very different at all. The sounds are more similar than not.

9. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    In 13 years of marraige, my wife never once complained about my late night woodshedding...

until my LaScala arrived.

:cool:

10. youngheo

youngheo

Jul 30, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    That sounds great!!

I was worry about LaScala's volume since everyone raved about their Cleveland sounds.

I ordered my Lascala hybrid yesterday!!! can't wait to play it:hyper:

11. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    It's total excellence. I'd buy one in a second.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know why you guys would buy New Standards when you can get a black/white trim 1950's Framus cutaway for $5000, which I think is in the ballpark of the New Standards.

:bag:

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    jesse.footinmouth.

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hah! I love it.

It really surprises me, still, how much bang there is in this bass. Room filling sound.

15. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Jimmy,it sounds like u r looking for furniture,not a bass.May I ask what kind of music u play and what u'r background is with the sting bass is?:rollno:

16. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    redundant is

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Jimmy be yankin' our cranks.

18. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    what the hell!! nobody has asked for pics yet?!?!
    :p

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yea dude, wassup with that? Fire up the camera. Take us to the bathroom.

20. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I just played one (hybrid model I think) courtesy of macmrkt (a million thank yous again, Marty) and it was most impressive.
    Arnold really has a great thing goin' on there. The set up was great and it felt extremely comfortable to play. While I'm spoiled w/ the aged sound of my Prescott, the piz, arco and amplified tone of the La Scala was surprisingly good for a new bass. I've performed on basses that were twice the $ that I didn't like as much.

BG