Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Lakland 55-94 and action setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gabro4, Jun 11, 2004.

1. gabro4

gabro4

Mar 28, 2003
    I've just received my Lakland 55-94, and the setup is very different from my previous bass : 55-94 action and strings are very low. B & E strings are buzzing very often !! (I think my touch is pretty heavy...)

The action is more/less 1/16".
    The neck is very very flat ( 0 relief or something like 1/50" when first and last fret fretted)

My question is : Should I raise the strings or should I bow the neck?

Thank you.

2. Raise the action first, using the saddles. If that doesn't work, then consider relief your next step!

The string height can be adjusted by raising or lowering the bridge saddles. This can usually be done with an allen wrench key of the correct size. Be sure to use the correct size, to prevent stripping the screw. The neck relief can also have an effect on the action. Relief is the curvature in the neck,.

Neck relief refers to the bow of the neck. Fretted basses generally need a small amount of relief in order to play properly. This means that the neck will bow away from the strings, as opposed to bowing towards them. The latter, also known as a "backbow" is not desirable as this would cause the neck to have a hump in the fretboard, which would cause buzzing at certain frets. To adjust the relief, the truss rod must be rotated in a certain direction. The truss rod is a metal rod that is inside the neck underneath the fretboard. Please note that truss rod adjustments are a tricky business, and there is the potential to seriously damage a good bass. However, with caution, the adjustments can be made at home. If you are unsure of your abilities, do not hesitate to take your bass to a repairman, who can probably show you the correct way to perform the task. This disclaimer aside, you will need to obtain the proper sized allen wrench for your truss rod. (The incorrect size can strip the truss rod.) The truss rod can be accessed at either the peghead or at the neck joint. To lower the neck relief, turn the truss rod clockwise. To raise the relief, turn the truss rod counter-clockwise. It is important not to turn the truss rod too much in any direction. Never turn it more than a quarter turn at a time, and always give the neck time to adjust itself to the change. A little goes a long way in truss rod adjustments.

Bass Setup Manuals

[​IMG]

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

[​IMG]

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It was quite a challenge for me to set up my new 55-94. I ended up putting a little relief in the neck to get rid of the string buzz. The neck adjustment on this bass is very sensitive and should be allowed time to settle in before adjusting a second time. This seemed to do the trick and get rid of the fretbuzz I was experiencing, remember a little bit goes a long way and it doesn't take much adjusting to get relief. I turned the truss about an eighth of a turn to fix my problem.