Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My new Lakland Skyline 44-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Oct 17, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I haven't received it yet, but here is a teaser picture of my new Skyline 44-02 sent to me from Dan Lakin.
    It has the Duncan Basslines pickups and added tortoise pickguard.

I can't wait to get it. I'll post a review once I get it and play it a while.
    Thanks to Steve Dude Barr and Dan Lakin for being accomidating to my "upgrades"

-KB

[​IMG]

2. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Very nice!!! I really dig those basses and I think the pickgaurd looks very good on that bass. Enjoy!!!:D

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    :eek:

YUM! That sure looks tasty... congrats on the new bass man!! be sure to post some pics!

4. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    ooo, if that had a black guard, i'd be all over that

nice bass man!

- Dave

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Dan's apparantly gravity-defying shop has done it again!

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I originally ordered it with a black guard, but Dan was having trouble finding one and it was going to be a long delay to get one, So I went with my 2nd choice of tortoise, which I really like the look of now that I see it in pictures.

I just can't wait to see it in person

-KB

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    make sure to post some pics and some sound clips! im really GASing for one of these

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd bet lots of money i would love a lakland with SD's in it. a bass of a 'vintage' vibe has to have exposed polepieces as well IMO, so that, plus the pickguard, makes that bass the best lakland ever :D

waiting for sound clips ;)

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I will definately try to post sound clips, if I can figure out how to record them with decent quality. Any suggestions??? Can I just plug straight into the soundcard and record with something like Musicmatch??? Or is there another good FREE program out there that is better?
    Or do I need to go through my amp or PA to get the better sound quality???

-KB

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you need to stick something in between the bass and the sound card. pedals sometimes work, the line out of your amp always does.

11. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    How much was this upgrade? even though I can't afford I'm GASing for a 55-02 with pickguard and SDs. I don't own a five string yet and that would be a sweet way to start my collection.

Dirk

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    dirk,
    you have a PM

13. KB, just talked to John, and you're going out today. I look forward to your thoughts on the Duncans. I'm getting mine with Barts after playing Bill LaGreca's, but who knows if I'll end up staying with them.

mike
    dude's roadie

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Will do.

I plan to post a full review once I get it. I hope it fits the sound I am going for. I wanted something a little more aggressive than the Bart equiped basses I have heard.
    I am curious about its sound comparison to my L2000.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

-KB

15. Yeah, I'm curious, as mine is also joining an L2000 to duke it out for #1/#2 status. I played Bill LaGreca's CSB/Maple 44-02 with barts, and I was quite pleasantly susprised. I'm really historically not a fan of barts, but this was lively, growly, and as Jack would say "punch, loud, and rude to old people". I popped the control plate, and sure enough the gain setting on the bart preamp was all the way up, I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Give barts enough juice, and they wake up? Regardless, it'll be an interesting dual head-to-head, and I look forward to comparing notes.

mike
    dude's roadie

16. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Here is an update:
    I actually got the bass today and it looks beautiful, but there are some problems. The pickups have some wiring issues and something somewhere is wired out of phase (something with the MM pickup). I called Dan Lakin and discussed it and the potential problems with him. he said to send the bass back.

I also made a big decision:
    I am getting the pickups changed back to Bartolini!!!!!!
    The reason for this is that the Basslines were almost too aggressive (especially in the high end) in tone for my tastes (when soloed so not in phasing problems). It is probably due to the maple board, ash body, basslines, and SWR amp.
    I spoke with Dan about this as well and he is going to change the pickups back to Barts for me so smooth things out a bit.
    I guess it was worth a shot, but I guess I chose poorly.

Also on a side note the poles do not line up 100% with the strings, so that is another reason for the change.

The bass is already on its way back to Lakland and should be back to me very soon with the bart pickups.

17. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Doh. Hope it gets corrected quickly and painlessly. Nice looking bass, though.

18. bassman4hire

bassman4hire

Jun 14, 2002
    canada
    Have you checked out Rhonda Smith's Lakeland website? She is a good selling point!!

19. KB, sorry to hear that man! It seems to me that Lakland is really extremely good at the things they do as standard options. Barts, bart preamps, etc... They do very few installs of duncan pickups (I believe it's less than 1% of the basses they sell), and they initially had a couple of minor snags with their first J/U-Retro installs. I think it's a familiarity thing. I think you'll be quite happy with the barts, especially with the added brightness of the maple board and your SWR rig. Just make sure the gain is suitably high on the preamp trimpot, that seems to be the key to bringing barts to life.

mike
    dude's bass