1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new Lakland Skyline Glaub!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Dec 24, 2006.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been wanting one from the moment I got my DJ4 and was amazed about the sound and quality of these instruments. I had my perfect jazz so now I needed a p-bass style bass for the arsenal.

I wanted this particular color/pickguard option and I must say that the bass it beautiful and extremely light compared to my Darry Jones. Flawless grain, finish and construction. I have to agree with all the reviews about this Fralin pickup. Now I understand all those adjectives: organic, agressive and punchy sound. I've tried numerous USA Fender P-basses and I must say that THIS eats them alive. The sound is raw and just lucious. With the turn of the tone knob it goes from mellow thump to pure bite and snarl. Playing it with a pick reminds me of why it's THE bass for punk or just playing pickstyle.

I loved how the pickup cover looked and as much as I tried to leave it on, I had to take it off. I just like the option of moving my right hand around to get different tones from this bass. I really really tried to leave it on!!! trust me!!!!:crying:

I love it as you can tell.
    Here's the evidence....pics

2. Greetings

I've had one for a couple years and it's great in every way, sound, construction, action, finish!

I play it with Flats and it's a real Phat tone!

Have fun with it!

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Beautiful, congrats!

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Huge congrats,
    it's not hard to understand why you like it,
    nothing like Lakland-P w/fralins!

EB/

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sweeeeet. :bassist:

That finish/grain looks great, especially for a Skyline.

6. thechips

thechips

Apr 10, 2006
    I just bought the same bass yesterday but the only difference is that mine has a white pickguard.
    I also tried a few US fender P-basses...and the Lakland just felt better in my hands.
    I was also shopping around for vintage fenders and although I loved the worn in feel rather than the metallic/new strings/new instrument sound...I couldn't justify spending well over 2 grand on an old 70's fender when Lakland make these beauties for half the cost.
    I will continue my search for the perfect vintage fender (jazz probably) but until then this Lakland is definately a nice addition to my (small) family.
    congrats!

7. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Yea, im really loving laklands, the more i play it the more I love it, id really like to get my hands on a 55-94 some day.

Great instrument and amazing customer service. Dan's the man.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Had one with a Dark Star... fantastic bass. Enjoy it!

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    VERY NICE!

I already have a Fender P (2001 50th Anniversary) which is VERY Nice as well, but since I bought it (about a year ago) I have discovered how much better I like Laklands (DJ4 and 5-02 on order as we speak)...would love a Glaub or more likely a D Dunn (love the CAR!)...problem is I would hve to get rid of the other P-bass first...maybe I will find some one who wants to trade (maybe?).....

congrats on a fantastic purchase....:hyper:

10. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    That looks just like a bass that sold on ebay a few weeks ago. It had the pickup cover. I ordered My Glaub in Oct. and although it's a skyline there not going to do the run until Feb. So they told me it should be ready by march. The Glaub I ordered looks just like yours Burst, rosewood, tort. Clean ,classic look and I'm blown away by the quality. I love my DJ,(which by the way looks just like yours,Wht Pearl, tort only Maple board. You have such good taste.) I own a lot of old fenders but the Skylines just crush the new MIA fenders(IMO,YMMV,etc...) Never thought I'd spend that kind of money on a MIK bass but the Lakland skylines are worth every penny and seem to hold their value better that the new USA Fenders.

Enjoy your bass, It's a beaut.

11. eso es!

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Congrats! I had a natural Ash/Maple Lakland BG, and it was everything that I could ever want in a P bass. As you said, these basses can be mellow and thumpy or bright and aggressive with just a turn of the tone knob. They absolutely kill ANY other P bass I've ever played!

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    oh yea,

awesome sound!

and yes, i too love my usa bobbyg. easily, the last Pbass i'll ever need. unless of course, an original '59 comes up for $2. :p

and while i like the smooth articulate sounds of my lindy, but i'll be trying in an SD quarter pound just cause i'm weird like that.

14. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I recently picked up a used Glaub (2002 model) in CAR. The previous owner wasn't real kind to it, but it still plays like a dream!! I'm very happy to have it!!

15. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Congrats. I used to have a natural ash/rosewood one that I was very happy with. I sold it to Bigbeefdog. He'll probably chime in if he sees this thread. How's that bass treating ya Beef?

16. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm playing a lot every day and can't wait to used it with my band to see how it performs.

Happy Holidays!!!

17. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    question: is a usa Bob Glaub really worth over 3 grand when you can buy an American Fender for a third the price? i mean how much different can it really be? And is a skyline an asian built version like the sadowsky metro line?

18. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Fantastic basses! Congrats!

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

this topic has be BEATEN WITH A BASEBALL BAT. but short answer for most guys is yes. the consistency, the sound, the feel, all contribute to a worthy instrument. at least for those willing to fork over the cash. and at least for me, only cause my USA didnt cost nowhere near $3K. ;)

20. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    A Skyline Glaub is at the top of my gas list! :)