My new Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, May 23, 2002.

1. It's a Hollowbody Deluxe. Very nice so far!
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    So what's on the way out now? ;)
  3. LOL...well, if you must know, I sold my orange Sting Ray 5 last week, and have my Dingwall Afterburner listed in the FS section.
  4. Gasp...what a beauty! I bet it sounds and plays at least as good as it looks, too.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very nice looking bass. I LOVE the 2+2 headstock. Congrats
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

What is that light colored thing on the back of the bass near the rear strap button? Is that a hole?
  7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that light colored thing is light!
    and i can't believe you got another bass!!!
    you just got your fodera!!
    you are just like me with keeping basses!!

8. It's just light from the window.

Nah, I've hit number 60--you've got some catching up to do, young friend.
  9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my first 8 months of playing i have gotten 6 basses!!!
    hopefully getting as many as possible this summer!!!
    or maybe i can save up for a fodera!
    or maybe a fbb custom
  10. pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    wow fc its like every week your getting a new bass and giving away another. just curios do you still have that cruise bass ;)
  11. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    That is an absolutely beautiful instrument. You've gotta be pumped! Congratz!:D
  12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    please dont compare to him... he's on a whole different level (at bass buying)...

as he said, you have a lot of catching up to do...

(im not playing that race... not by choice let me tell you ;) )
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, funky! That one is very nice.
  14. Real nice! How does it sound?

15. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Beautiful! Very Paul Reed Smithy. Should sound killer to!
  16. geshel

Oct 2, 2001

That the one that was on Ebay lately?
  17. Yep. eBay...eBay (more on that later).

Anyhow, tones--well, it looks like Lakland, in conjunction with Michael Tobias, has managed to design a bass with all of your favourite Gibson EB/Guild Starfire tones except in a 34" scale. You can get lots of mud with lots of thump no problem. I guess the best way I can think of putting it is that this bass looks like it sounds. Nice, big, and hollow. What's really pleasantly surprising is the tonal variety available with the bridge pickup--kind of a P-Bass vibe. Very cool.

Now...the problem! The seller wasn't aware of the problem (he said he'll take it back and refund my dough), but the truss rod doesn't adjust. Apparently the nut that attaches to the truss rod isn't really attached too well. So I can't turn it. I love this bass and how it looks and sounds, so hopefully I can do a neck swap or something of the sort so that I can keep the vibe. But if not, I'm definitely saving up for a brand new Lakie Hollowbody.
  18. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Coolest bass around for me!!! i heard rumors of a next to be Skyline version of the hollowbody. i'd buy one for sure!!!
  19. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Have you checked with Dan Lakin? When I contacted him about upgrading the preamp in an early model 55-94 that I bought used, I found him to be responsive and customer service oriented. I'm sure he'll fix it if it's a manufacturing issue.

Bass looks great! You gonna try some flatwounds on there?