Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my new Lull

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hasbeen, Jan 25, 2006.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    Well, back from NAMM. I have been doing our demos with a Lull for the last year. Mike saw my pic in last month's BP mag playing it and asked if I wanted another for our NAMM booth.

I said sure....another 4 string MV J please. He delivered this one. I liked it so much I bought it.

Plug for Mike: he builds outstanding basses and he and Roger Gee are two of the nicest guys you can do business with. And that's not an endorsement plug....I pay for his basses.

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    pic of my two Lulls together.

3. Very sharp! What difference do you hear in the tone between the 2 basses?

I don't remember getting the chance to try a Lull. I would love to try one sometime.

4. Ok, I'm sitting in the hall between classes, and I just let out and audible moan when I saw that thing.

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nice!! Yes they're very nice basses!! Here are my two:

http://www.nehp.net/~lychesis/Lull/Lulls1.jpg

I just wish the old Modern body styles were still available...

I liked those so much more than the new one he offers... :meh:

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats , all the best with it ! :bassist:

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I could not agree more! :hyper: Congrats on the new Lull. :bassist:

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    well the basses differ in wood and electronics:
    Natural: bartos with a three band agiie pre. Ash body.
    Red: alder body with maple cap. Fralin pups with two band barto pre. Interesting note on the pre: active treble and bass with a passive tone roll-off.

The natural bass has a bigger footprint: more bottom and more top. Also more clarity. Amazing for slap. The red bass has more meat and is more mid oriented in tone. The differences though are so slight that you can emulate one with the other with just a little eq'ing...and not so much eq'ing that it sounds unnatural.

9. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    very nice. I was thinking of a five string....my five now is a USA Lakland Delux.

I find though that lately when I play fretted it is a four and when I play fretless it's a six.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Amazing! I especially love that red.

11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Nice basses, bro!

I had a beauty of a fretted Modern 5 and it was built and finished as nicely as anything that I have played. From what I heard via the dealer who sold mine on consignment for me Lull redesigned the Modern series to make the ergonomics better. I know that the reach out to the nut on my bass was pretty extreme and I have long arms. I tried one of the newer ones and it felt more natural.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I agree. The new body style seems extremely ergonomic to me. Both basses seem like an extension of myself when sitting or standing. No neck dive either.

The red one has a weight reduction chamber in it....ala Sadowsky (beautiful basses too...will own one someday).

The ash bass doesn't have a chamber. Mike told me it is a lot easier for him to find light swamp ash then light alder. Plus he like the tone aspects of the chambered body on the alder. He feels it sweetens up the tone.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    That's a beautiful quilt on the bass. Enjoy.

14. Red one kills.. great man.. I wish I had one. Maybe someday..:smug:

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    nobody is "old school" and likes the natural. :bawl:

16. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I fit the bill I like the natural and I am old school.
    You can go with a variety of pg on it, but the tort is cool.

Congrads.

17. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    :D :D

I'm better now...thanks. Don't get me wrong, I love fancy wood but these days I feel like a doctor/dentist guitar collector with fancy tops instead of a professional player. Stil....the red 'tis lovely.

At the end of the day I prefer natural but it doesn't make much difference to me. It just has to feel right and sound right.

18. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    awesome basses! i like the one on the right. the headstock style reminds me of TBC...