Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Mesa Boogie BIG BLOCK 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Char-Lee, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I Finally purchased a new Mesa Boogie Big Block 750. The amp is sonically amazing and simple. I've never had so much clarity and bottom. The overdrive is not really my favorite but then again I don't really like bass distortion. If your a player who needs some growl then this amp will definetly give you what you need and more. The EQs are simple the look is super clean and the tone is amazing. If anybody out there is considering one and you have any questions let me know.

Charlee

2. Hi Charlee;

Would be great if you could tell me more about the amp. Weight, wattage, does it handle 2 ohm, etc?

thanks

Jorg

3. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    The Mesa weighs around 36lbs, it has the capability of running at 2ohms at an earth shaking 750 watts. I'm running it at 4 ohms and I spoke with Mesa they said its pushing about 575 at 4. It comes with a footswitch to mute the amp and to turn on/off the overdrive, Dual speakon outputs. Everything else about it is pretty simple which is really nice, it took me about 2 minutes to dial it in.

Thanks

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I guess this would be a good time as any to mention that I glimpsed a prototype Boogie cab with two speakon connectors when I was at the factory two weeks ago.... :ninja:

5. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah we just got a 1x15 cab in silver at our store with the new Triport design and dual speakons, it sounds amazing.

6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay? What is the average street price on these?

7. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I payed $1299 which is Mesa's Pro Net pricing but I think as of the first of July they went up to $1349. But that should be what you can pick it up for from any Mesa Boogie Dealer.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    What's so great about speakon? I just got my M-Pulse and Boogie didn't put speakons on those...why are they doing it on a Big Block?

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Some people swear by Speak-On cables and some dont see any difference between them and standard 1/4 inchers. The obvious difference is that Speak Ons lock into place so they cant be accidentally knocked out. Some people say they are tonally better as well although I really cant tell a difference.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I believe that certain countries are requiring that they are used on power amps of a certain wattage. I don't think it helps with the tone one iota, but it's nice to keep them from falling out.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ok, that makes sense. Benjamin did this new cab also have 1/4 connectors?

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes. It seemed to be kind of large too... :ninja:

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    :0 How large? I think a 8x10 + 1x15 would be a crazy setup...I want to see that done :). Or is it 4x12? Hmmm....you have me thinking crazy unresonable things :0.

14. I gotta try it out, I'm looking for something to substitute my SVT Cassic...for my back's sakes!!! :bawl:

15. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Hey Karrot-X the speakon connector makes a better connection and secures it to the cabinet or head. The other benefit of haveing speakon is the actuall gauge or thickness of spearker cable you can purchase. I bought two new Monster Cable Speakon Studio 1000 speaker cables and they are super thick almost a 1/2" thick and I can tell a huge difference in tone and just how much more power travels through them. I don't think they make a standard 1/4" speaker cable that thick so you wouldn't get more volume or tone. The new M-pulse amps I believe are going to be equipped with them and all the new Mesa cabinets have dual speakon connections.

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It looked larged enough to house four 12s... :ninja:

17. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Interesting... how are they configured? Is one input simply a pass-through so you can daisy-chain cabs together? Or have they designed it so that--if you have signal in both Speakon inputs--somehow the cab is 'split' (one input drives one/two speakers in the cab, while the other input drives the other one/two speakers)?

I can't imagine the design would allow 2 power amps driving the same speakers.

18. go back and tell us more!!

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not sure, I only caught a glimpse. It was obviously still in serious proto faze; it didn't even have tolex on it yet.

20. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ahh hah! I found it! It's the new Powerhouse 2000 .... 4x12 + 1x18 haha.

...and instead of tweeters they're using 10's :0.