1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new MIM P-Bass has the sexy.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WhiskeyMan13, Apr 2, 2009.

1. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    So I've played a 70s MIM Jazz for most of my serious playing career (which isn't too long). I've had P-Bass GAS for a while (must have been that bean I had for supper). For budgetary reasons, I was limited to the Mexi standard P-Bass. I went to the local music shop in town and tried a few Mexican P-Basses, and decided to go for it. However, the store only had ones rosewood fretboards. For cosmetic reasons as well as interesting in seeing the difference, I wanted to go with a maple one, which they ordered.
    So it came today, and I'm in love. It's just a MIM Standard, sunburst with a white pg, but it was so impressed with how it came out of the box. The action was perfect, and everything from the finish to the neck to the tone is exactly what I wanted.
    Ive heard MIM's are a mixed bag, so I'm pretty excited to have gotten one that was a winner!:hyper:

2. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    nice!

i want to get a mim p bass in black with a maple neck as a work horse touring bass.. the one i tried was really solid and easy to play. want to make sure i get the one i tried though!

3. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    no pics, no bass :)

4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Your bass is non existent without a piccy...

Had to get a passive for some festivals we were playing at as I found the sound guys always had probs with active basses... they where always getting pissed off with their EQ! And I was always getting pissed off with them!

I bought one off the bay having only seeing the sellers pic.. it was a gamble. Turned out to be one of my fave basses.

MIM P bass... had to do some slight modding, loose tuners. otherwise superb. Added covers and a thumb rest to give it the vibe it deserved. Great action, great feel, great studio bass. Engineer said it was the quietest P he had heard... and he's got several. These are super.. congrats!

Welcome to my world!

[​IMG]

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    ^ sexy p

i love MIM p basses thats all i play i get them for 200$ off craigs all the time part the out make money build them up make money and keep the ones i love most

so far only kept 1 she is awesome . electron blue color

6. I want to get a maple neck for one of my basses, or the next one to have one...I would love to have black or mother of pearl block inlays on it too....
    BTW, I love my MIM jazz!

7. Buster666

Buster666

Nov 29, 2008
    I bought a Mexican Fender in Lake placid Blue. Then had the local custom car paint guy squirt some transparent purple around the edges. Then some Bartolini Pups. Then an English Status Graphite neck. Now I have to chain the Rotwieler to it at night.

3408440489_1c77ee0d9a.

8. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i used to have a jazz bass like that! bart pickups status neck, yellow paint job, badassII bridge, chrome knobs.

big regrets about selling it

9. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Bust that bass looks sweet!

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I love MIMs of all the basses i have tred nothing beats them IMO for the money. I get them used mostly and have one new classic 50's but its more than a standard MIM since the only thing mexi about the 50's are that they are assembled in mexico the rest is all american.
    I just spent the entire weekend holed up recording my new bands CD and took 3 basses i recorded all but one song (of 8) with the cheapest bass i had. Its a sweet agave blue P bass i bought used at GC for $175.00 and put a set of 62 RI fender pups in her and a vintage reissue bridge. Strung with cromes it has a sound like no other..cheap and great.

11. WhiskeyMan13

WhiskeyMan13

Mar 11, 2009
    Bah! I'll post pics this afternoon when I'm home from work.