Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New MIM P!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 14, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, yesterday, I purchased a brand spankin new Fender P Bass (MIM). It was kind of a consolation purchase b/c I'm sending my Dean Edge Q4 in to be serviced. I the feel and sound of this bass. I had a gig last night, but b/c of technical difficulties w/ my amp and the power supply (I blew my fuse and the spare) I had to run direct and I could barely hear myself in the mix. But the bass sounded great through my amp when I played it earlier in the day yesterday at rehearsal. It's fat sounding with lots of low end and plenty of mid range punch. Cosmetically it's great too. I have the sunburst finish, which costs a little more, but is a lot classier looking. I've already changed the volume and tone control knobs, and one day I may put some Seymour Duncans in there and slap a Badass on there, but all in due time...

This is a great looking and sounding bass, and great value. I ended up paying 365 + tax which came out to around 400. I know you can get them cheaper, but's what's 25 bucks more to know that it's set up good and also having a chance to play it before hand and be absolutely sure you like the sound. Anyone looking for a good backup bass or even as a main axe, this bass is very cool.

Dirk

2. Congrats on the new bass. hehe Sorry to hear about the bad luck for your gig. I guess you're going to have to buy a backup amp too... hehe j/k. :)

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    awwww how cuuute.... a MIM P bass :D jk jk jk congrats on your new bass man.. i would like ot have a MIM J to just stare at the sexy J body! :D

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I would like to get a MIM Fender P Bass, but they don't make them lefty anymore.

You rightys don't know how lucky you are :)

Enjoy the bass. Let us now of any modifications you make to the bass.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Mods.. mmm yum.... get some SD Preamp/Pickups in to that baby.. BOOM!! :D oh yeah some ABM Bridges and HIpshot Tunres should do the trick also. :D

6. Congrats Mr.Dirk! :D You will learn to love the P bass....they are so great! I have a `98 mia and it is a joy to play! All that crap about them having a thick/fat neck? oh puh-LEASE!!!

Rock On!!

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Congrats dude.
    I've been thinking about getting a P as a backup for my MIM J. Show us a picture if you could.

8. B3Nut

B3Nut

Oct 28, 2000
    Central Michigan
    I have a MIM P too. It's not a bad bass at all...thought I don't care for the stock pup. I'm likely going to go for a Fender '62 RI P pup. I string it with Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. It's nice and punchy and begs to be played with a pick. :) Even though the stock pup is a bit thin on the bottom, I've gotten to sit well in a track.

TP