My new mini modular rig of joyful tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Aug 27, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    After about six months of searcing, saving gig money and selling off gear, I am waiting for the last piece (EA CXL-110E) to my new super modular rig of joyful tone. When that arrives my modular, yet somewhat compact rig will consist of:

SWR Studio 220 - A 13lb head for low volume needs and modern sound. Works as a preamp too.
    Peavey DPC1000 Power amp - a 12lb amp that'll put out 500 per side @ 4 Ohms.
    Ampeg SVT IIP preamp - for when I want more classic tone.
    2 Aguilar GS112s - For bottom and low end growl
    2 EA CXL-110Es - For punch and clarity

So the rig can be anywhere from 2-3 rack spaces. 4 if I add a couple of half space effects (Boss VF-1, BBE Sonic Maximizer). But right now, I am saving on space and weight by using an Aphex 1402 and a Tech21 Bass Compactor compressor.
    To keep things truly modular, I have 2 2-space rack cases. Total weight for a setup can be from 47-131 lbs. Power handling of the cabs is anywhere from 300-1300 watts program depending on setup. I may be a bit underpowered, but if I needed to I can use my 16lb Stewart 1400 that my band is using for PA, to give me a total of 2400 watts of power, but I don't see that as necessary (yet :D).

As you can tell I am really psyched. When the rig is complete I'll post a picture and give a review.
    Thanks to everyone who helped on on my questions regarding speaker cabs. I am on my way to a significant reduction in GAS pains.
  2. Very nice, do you have any gig reviews you can post to let us know how you got on with it?

3. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    I have 11 gigs between now and the first week of October. I'll have to opportunity to try out different configurations in different settings. I'll write on-the-gig reviews. Since I haven't gigged with the EA CXL-110, I can't say much.

On the other hand, the Aguilar GS112s are awesome. One works well for small gigs, and two of them are plenty loud. I use my SWR for the smaller gigs, and I get plenty of volume and great tone for the situation. The sound is quite balanced and clear. The lows have a pretty defined sound. I found that two can be a little overkill for the small clubs. The sound of a single aggie and two of them are different to me.
    Having two of them has allowed me to get rid of by Trace Elliot 1x15. One of them produce almost as much low-end as a 15, but two puts out more bottom to my ears. I played a couple of outdoor gigs with the my Ampeg preamp and Peavey DPC into two GS112s, and I was very happy with the low end. The rig pushes some air that you can feel on the stage. It was a delight to see the two 12" drivers pounding away to the beat. The tweeter can be hissy, but easily controlled by the attenuator. It was lacking a little in the upper mids, so I bought the EA to compensate in the future. Don't get me wrong, the Aggies have a pretty balanced sound, but my ears and GAS led me to getting a couple of 1x10s.
    I had a few bass players comment on my tone, and they were surprised when they saw that I played a cheap Essex P Bass copy with flatwounds. They didn't know I had a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in it. I don't slap much in this band, but the slap sound of the GS112s are pretty good. They sound awesome when I play one of my Warwicks through them. Even with the great sound of the Aggies, I prefer the fast sound of 10's for slapping.

I'll be experimenting over the next few weeks with some configurations, and I let you guys know how it goes. Just want to provide information, in return for all the valuable information y'all have given me.
  4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    just saw this thread a second ago.... I got my second Aguilar GS 112 yesterday. (you might have seen it earlier today).
    Man, this is some awesome stuff!

I like that it can get real loud in such a small package!!!
  5. Looks like a great setup, jive1. I also use a S220 by itself and as a pre for a power amp.

I'm interested to hear what you think about the CxL10/GS112 combo powered by just the little amp. Should be perfect for small, but still kinda loud gigs.
  6. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think the modular portable rig idea is great. Just take what you need to the gig without lifting any 125 pound cabs and 100 pound amps. I'll bet when you use both 12's and both 10's it rocks the house :cool:
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Oh, I can assure everyone that the EA CXL110 and the Aguilar GS112 sound great together. I played a 3 hour blues gig last night, and I was digging the tone the entire time with my mini tower.

And, one trip load in is always a good thing at 1:30 am.

8. Mini rigs rule! I run two Aggies off of a GK 1001RB with an ADA MP2 and a DBX 266XL Compressor. I love having a setup that weighs less than I do (and I'm a small guy). Great tone and volume. And, just for some added cutting power, I've got a 4 connector Speakon to 2 1/4" cable so that I can use the 50W tweeter power amp in the GK 1001RB to power a 1x10 guitar cab that I'm loading with a vintage speaker from a 30 year old bass cab. Don't want my high end TOO high, now.
  9. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    I second the motion of BassMonkeee. The sound is incredible. I played around with it at home, and will probably use this setup at a gig soon. The the crispness of the EA CXL-110 goes well with the darkness of an Aggie GS112. The result is a really balanced sound. You can tweak your amp and get the sound you want.
    The SWR really makes the harmonics jump out of my Warwick, and the cabs are more than willing to help out. I couldn't help but try to do Michael Manring and Jaco style stuff when I first plugged into this setup. I had to turn down the tweeter on the Aggie, since the EA provided plenty of smooth highs. The two balance well tonally and volume-wise. The rig is plenty loud for a smallish room.
    In my opinion the two cabs really suit the SWR 220 and it's bigger brothers quite well.
  10. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Bow before the MINI MONSTER!

11. Which head are you using (think I see both a porta and a boogie in your pic)?

On a side note, how do you like your Fisman DI/EQ/Comp? Think it would suffice in the preamp role for the preamp/power amp/lots of speakers part of the modular set up?
  12. Thanks for the info and looking forward to a gig report.
  13. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    I've had four gigs since my last post, and have some more thoughts and reviews.

I played one gig using the EA CXL-110 as a stand alone with my SWR 220. I could get the volume, but had to crank the amp up higher than I would want to. There's not as much bass as I would like, but that is what I expected out of 1x10 cab. I guess I was hoping for a surprise. The SWR 220 with the single 10" didn't produce the volume or low-end that I was looking for. It lacked the that old school thud, but what do you expect from a single 10". It performed beautifully from the low mid to high frequency range. When I used a more powerful amp, the CXL produced much more volume, but made sounded floppy when alot of lows were pushed into it. The thing live seems to put out adequate lows, but when I play it in my room, it makes flopping sounds.

Here's a link to a post I made regarding the CXL-110

The next gig I used the SWR 220 along with a EA paired with an Aggie. The sound was great. The sound was well balanced- clear highs, growly mids, and fat bottom. The volume was adequate, but it wasn't too loud. The SWR's power amp blew a fuse at the end of the night, so I havn't been able to play with it much more after that. I have to say that these two cabinets compliment each other perfectly. After the amp blew, I tried a similar setup using the SWR 220 as a preamp going into a Peavey DPC1000 power amp. I biamped this time, using the crossover on the SWR, and the results were spectacular. There was plenty of tone from this, and all of it good. Words cannot describe the versatility and tone this set up provides. Once the cabs get the proper power and the frequencies that they excel at, the possibilities are almost limitless. This was probably one of the best practical setups I came up with - plenty loud with a great tone at well under 100 lbs.

On the last gig, I used two CXL-110's with a rig consisting of an Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp and Peavey DPC1000 power amp. The sound of a pair of CXL cabs are great. Real crisp and hi-fi sounding with well defined highs and mids. Really cuts through on a mix, and plenty of volume for medium sized gigs. Two of these cabs really put out more bass than 1. There was plenty of bass coming out of this, but not the same kind of thud and darkness that a pair of Aggies or a 15" can provide. If you push the lows and volume, there is some farting. On the other hand, plenty of punch from the fast 10" speakers. By playing with the EQ on my amp, I was able to get the Eden 2x10 sound out of it. This setup has a great tone for slapping.

This weekend, I will have chance to put all four cabs to use and let you know how it sounds. Hope my ramblings are of some use to you guys.
  14. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Ah yes, mini rigs do rule!![​IMG] :bassist:
  15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    give me that WW!!!:eek:
  16. Excellant reports, thanks!
  17. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    I found a Bag End S-15 today for under $200. It will be assimilated into the super modular rig. A nice sounding 15 that is 44lbs. The thud and vintage vibe of a 15". Sweet!
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here is the current mini rig:

However, to add to the "modular" idea, after I took this photo, I picked up another T-112, and the Walkabout drives all three cabs pretty well. My new (to me) Raezer's Edge Bass 10 should arrive tomorrow, and I am looking forward to trying out the Bass 10 with the Walkabout.

I have been itching to set up a mini rig with my EA cabs, but I fear those VL-series cabs like more juice than the Walkbout puts out. It could be that there's an iAMP 800 or WW Ultra in my future! I just need some gigs first to generate some cash!

19. I think you're gonna like that RE. Out of all the little cabs I've tried, there's a (for lack of a better word) "warmth" to them to them that makes you want to keep playing.

Are you getting the medium or heavy magnet speaker?