1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My new mini rig. Small size, BIG sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Well, Im still loving my MarkBass Little Mark II after using it for close to two months now. What a GREAT amp.

I was very much in love with my Bergantino HT322, but I have a pinched nerve in my back and its really getting annoying. So I decided it was time to off the Berg HT322 and get two smaller cabs so I didnt have to lug a heavy cab to gigs that only require one cab.

I got a Bergantino HT112 and will be getting another, or an EX112 after the holidays.

Ive had this setup for over a week, but wanted to get a gig or two on it before I posted my thoughts.

First off, I was not blown away by the volume of the HT112 while practicing in my room. I know its only a 1x12, but from what Ive read, my initial observations were a little less than my research led me to expect. HOWEVER, once I got this rig out of my bedroom for a couple gigs I was VERY impressed with everything the HT112 has to offer. Its such a great sounding cab, and with the Little Mark II I can really get about any tone that I need. After a couple gigs I cant believe that this rig pushing only 300 watts @ 8 ohms is capable of being too loud.

Ive owned a number of Bergantino cabs, and they are all great IMO. Ive had an HT210S, an HT210, an HT115, and HT322, and an NV610. Out of all those cabs, its the HT112 that works the best for me tonally. I love this setup and cant wait to hear what itll dish out with another HT112 or EX112.

Also not that this whole rig weighs in at around 45 pounds. Roughly half of what my Bergantino HT322 weighed.

Thanks to Brian at The LowEnd for the good deal and FAST shipping on this.

Pics:

newtaylorandberg009.

newtaylorandberg007.

2. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    How big of a room are you playing? What type of music? I would think I'd need a whole bunch of those to even be heard.

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Cool! If Jim Bergantino would just cover those in tolex or duratex I would strongly have to consider getting one...

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Same setup as mine. So far, I am quite pleased with it. You really don't have to sacrifice sound for portability in this case.

5. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Nice rig!

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

TBer EMJAZZ uses that same rig with great success. Nice!

7. HeyMikey

HeyMikey

Dec 28, 2005
    Congrats on your setup. I have a Bergantino NV610 and HT210. Love them both. I also have the Markbass LMII which is paired up with the Epifani UL 110 and 112.......my oh my what a sound at such a low weight.:hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

8. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I've used the Berg HT & EX combo and while the mids and highs were nice it had no information below 50 hz. I have switched to and Epi UL 3x10 which is only 4-5 lbs heavier than one Berg HT. In my experience it blows the Berg stack a way. Jim himself told me that in order for him to get lower hz's he would have had to make the cabs bigger. Law's of physics. Nice cab just no low end.

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1 to that!:)

I had the same experience with a few other Berg cabinets. I almost didn't try the HT-112 but I'm sure glad that I did! I now have two but rarely need both for a gig.
    Those little cabinets just love power! The harder you hit 'em, the hard they growl back!;)

10. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I've been using the mini stack with an Eden WT-400 in small rooms and I'm getting tons of low end. I used this rig at an outdoor gig and my drummer remarked that it was very loud. Some other musicians I've worked with came to one of my gigs and remarked that every note down to the low B was clear. Are you talking about reproducing a low note or producing chest pounding low end? What music are you playing? What head & bass are you using? I have a rig for large gigs that includes a pair of UL-210 cabinets and a UL-115 cab. It creates more pressure but the low B note is no more faithfully reproduced than it is with the mini stack.

11. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    WT550. It's a funny thing how people perceive low end. The frequency of an open E is approx. 41 hz. When you have a cab that is 6db down at 48hz, which is what the HT112 is speced at, or close to it, saying there's no info below 50 is being generous. There is no way you're hearing the bottom fundamental of the bass. It ain't gonna happen. So when you hear a cab that can reproduce 41hz you realize what you've been missing.
    Like I said the Bergs are nice cabs, having owned the "Berg Stack" and a Berg single 15, which is one of the best if not thee best single 15 out there, the stack has no real fundamental. It has perceived low end.

12. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I perceive that we are splitting hairs. :p

13. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    you're perception could be right.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That's why I got rid of mine. It's been over a year an I am still searching for my ideal cab.

15. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I went with an Epi 310UL. Much bigger sound and much better low end.
    Not quite the definition but overall a better all round cab.