Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "New" Modern 5-24 Fret Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Oct 13, 2005.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    it's used but new to me. I just traded my Marcus Miller Sadowsky for a 5A Quilt Top, Trans Red Modern 24-5 Sadowsky. She is truly a player!

I Traded This...

[​IMG]

For This...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I needed a completely different tone in my bag. Just more versatility availability! :D

2. Great pickup, Mike!

Seems like everyone is going for the Modern 5 24F these days...I can see why, too...

HAWT!

You really only need one great Jazz bass in your arsenal...after that, something like the Modern 5 makes perfect sense.

sound clips, Big Mike...PLEASE???

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Nice Mike congrats. 24F the way to go...(if you've already got a nice jazz) :D

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Cool bass. Glad to finally see pics. Enjoy

Rob

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    man,

those transparent sadowsky finishes look amazing

awesome!

6. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Congrats! :hyper: Love the black hardware. Although I've never played the 5-24's, it seems like it would have very versatile capabilities. Let us know.

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Yeah, if I really like it I am thinking of refinishing it in Thin Band Tobacco burst like this one OR trans black. Who knows? LOL

[​IMG]

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Tobacco Burst would look KILLER. Saw that you were getting that in another thread, looks like an incredible bass! Enjoy it!

9. Hey man, nice bass...

Question... how is the upper register access, particularly on the higher strings (B,E,A)?

And is there any other basses that you could compare the sound to?

Peace,
    Darren

10. jlt

jlt

Apr 24, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Congrats on the new bass. That tobacco burst is awesome. If that picture you posted of the tobacco burst is #4005, that's my bass. :D I get compliments on it all the time. Either way the bass is awesome. Enjoy your new bass.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nice score. That happens to be one of my fav color combo's

12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Upper register is EASILY accessible. Comparison's? Hmmm? I have only played a few modern basses like MTD 535's, a couple F Bass's and I have owned humbucking Spectors and several "modernish" Warwick.

The Sad's play better to me (but for me Sad's are just IT). They sound very modern with a nice even tone, great bottom end, nice mid presence, very smooth and clean sounding. No growl here. If you want growl get a PJ5!

I also just think it sounds better than the others. I think that is more about the preamp than anything. Roger's preamp is just so musical.

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Yep. #4005. One of my favorites in Roger's Archive.

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Sweet bass Mike. If I had to choose 1 Sadowsky to own, I think that would be it.

15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Awesome score!!! Love the color!!

16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I checked my "Instrument Pictures" folder, and I'd actually saved that from when it was for sale new on the site. :D I'm a sucker for trans red bodys with maple boards, so toss a vote in the "don't touch a damn thing" column! :smug:

Congrats on a great purchase!

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Cool Mike, There was a transparent Blue Metro 24 fret Maple board at low down. It lasted about 4 days, I got a chance to play, very impressive, but my #3830 is still "the one" for me.

18. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Yeah, my two PJ5's ARE IT for me! They are the ultimate. BUT, I need something modern sounding too. Besides Adrian is getting old errr older ;) and can't hold on to his gigs forever. LOL :bag:

Nuttin' but love for ya Adrian, you know that man! :bassist:

19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I hate you .... for showing me what has become my favorite color/wood combination ...Tobaccoburst on a quilt top is just so classy and elegant. Sporty without being over the top. Damn! Your new Modern 24 is stunning Mike. Congrats. do those come with a passive tone control too? gary

20. I wouldn't change a thing! I like the tabaco burst, but the trans red is killer.

LR