Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My New Modulus is Here!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Feb 26, 2002.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Been waiting to be able to post one of these threads. The Fed Ex man came today and delivered to me a brand new Modulus Quantum 5 w/5A flame maple top over alder body, transparent Sienna finish, black hardware, Bart pups and 18v Bart 3 band EQ.

I have only played it through my Peavey 115 practice amp for right now, so I am going over to our drummer's house where our band rehearses to play it through my Ampeg rig. I can't wait to hear it through that, as it totally blew me away through the Peavey.

Haven't had enough time on it to say much more right now.

I bought it from Lenny at String-It.com. Super price, and overall a great guy to deal with. Arrived perfectly setup just as I had asked. Definitely a place to check out if you are looking for a Modulus. I highly recommend him.

Well, more on it later. Got to go play it some more.:D ;)

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    P I C T U R E S

sorry, new bass - new pics rule is ON

:D

3. Congrats Ryann!!! Awesome bass,wish I could afford one :p

Modulus....hmmmm I`d give my....well we don`t want to know what I`d give for that baby.Just say
    ole Tom Green and I would have something in common!:D :rolleyes:

Pics please!

4. I think they have a pic of the sienna quantum at Bass Northewest, so it might be similar?

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Congrats! My recently acquired ModQ6 is my current fave. Absolutely great basses. You made a wise choice, my friend. Let's see that sucker.

6. eViL cAkE

eViL cAkE Guest

Sep 6, 2001
    Just East of Dallas
    Best wishes with your new axe man! I'm waiting on a Modulus Flea J5 myself. I ordered it about a month ago and it should be here in another three to five weeks or so. I so can't wait.

Have fun,
    eViL cAkE

7. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Congrats on your new Modulus. This takes me back to when I first got my Q5. After my day was done playing it I would sit back and just stare at the 5A black cherry maple top. Since then I haven't had any G.A.S. whatsoever. That doesn't mean I won't get it again (as I fight off visions of a Q6 in my wee little head), but I'll never get rid of my Q5. Enjoy!

Peace!

8. Congrats! They are great basses want one myself.

Where are the pictures?:oops:

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Welcome to the darkside, Ryan. Muwahahaha...:D

Pics are necessary, remember! The sienna finish is pretty cool looking. Congratulations!

10. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I will get pics taken of it tonight. Still not quite sure on how to post em on here, though, it always tells me that the file I am trying to attach is too large.:rolleyes: (anybody wanna explain to me how to do it?)

Modulus definitely knows how to finish their basses. This thing is beautiful. Fit and finish are perfect--I cannot find a flaw in it anywhere. I thought my Cirrus had a great B string (it does), but the B on the Modulus is unbelievable. It blends perfectly with the other strings, and is tighter than the B on my Cirrus. Unplugged, it has a great sound, but plugged in, it friggin sings. Punchy, modern tones, and a little tweaking of the EQ makes a big difference. Tonally, it seems to have a ton of variety available. I have a 2 night gig this weekend, can't wait to see how it sounds on stage in a gig setting.

I'll get pics up soon. As soon as I figure out how.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Good call! Modulus has the best finishes of any company I've ever seen, gloss or satin (the former being the better of the two, though I usually prefer satin). And I'll agree on the B! Beautiful thing. It's the clearest B I've ever heard, but my Roscoe moves more air with it. I'll definitely get another Modulus someday....someday. :rolleyes:

I want to see the new glass finishes...they look the same on picture, but I heard they look amazing in person. I have no clue what the difference is, but sounds cool.

By the way, pictures, man!

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've got an ongoing obsession with a Modulus Q5 in black cherry. I don't mind the Graphite neck, and think it'd be great, especially for travel. Humidity and Temp. problems would be a thing of the past. Gotta love it.

13. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    "I've got an ongoing obsession with a Modulus Q5 in black cherry"

I had that same obsession, which is why I got the black cherry...it's sweet. You're dead on about the temp and humidity problems being a thing of the past. Living in Colorado is murder on wood necks. I fight a constant battle with my ABGs truss rod. It's an every two week regime tweaking it. I'm now waiting for someone to manufacture an all graphite acoustic bass guitar...;-)

Peace

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ah, but they exist! Rainsong makes them. They make all graphite acoustic guitars and basses. It's woven graphite, a la Status, so it's not the exact same, but its still a lot easier than wood. You pay for it though...the bass is probably over $2k.

You can see one in the "Pretty Basses" section on bunnybass.com. I love their guitars, but I've never tried the basses.

15. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Thanks for the heads up man, I had no idea someone made a graphite ABG. Well so much for that previous post of not having G.A.S.

Peace

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Major congrats!

As you can see, I love my Greenstone Quantum 5. The Modulus Quantum has the best B string I've ever played, and I've played most of the boutiques.

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    North Dakota isn't so easy on them, either. Hot and humid in the summer, cold and dry in the winter. My Cirrus (and all others before it) has made quite a few trips to the shop for seasonal tweaking.

Well, you all want to see pics, but I still don't know how to do it!!:( Man I feel dumb right now.:mad:

18. Ryan, do you have a digital camera. If so, just take a picture, and you can just attach the file to your post. Congrats on the bass too!:)

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here, let me help.

Ryan, I've been busy, so I haven't been able to answer your PM, but I will go ahead and post some of the pics for you, and answer your PM now.

Darn. The site took the pics down, so I can't link to them.:(

Check your PM.

20. our lead guitar player has a rainsong acoustic.........jeez that thing is awesome. And just a note on their service.......His electronics stopped working one gig, so he sent it in, and the totally sent him the same model guitar, only BRAND NEW!! What is mind blowing is that his was 2 years old! They also sent him a new molded case. Very sweet company.....I'm looking at their sight now, but nothing about basses