My New Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jambassist, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i don't post a lot on here, but I thought some of you might like to see my new bass. It's a Modulus Quantum 5. It has a Chechen top and fingerboard with an Aguilar OBP-3 18 volt preamp. It balances great and sounds good too. You definitely don't have to work to play this bass. A lite touch gets me where I need to go. Build quality is also excellent. I've had 5's before and was never a big fan of them, but my musical direction is changing so it was time. My dexterity with it is pretty good and will only get better. Like anything else, it takes some practice to get it right.

I bought this yesterday from Glenn at Bass Specialties. Great store and an even better guy. He was very fair when it came to a trade also which is always helpful. I think every bass player in this area has been to his store, but if you haven't, go. Nice and roomy with a selection of gear to suit everyone's budget.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Wow, I bet that chechen/chechen sounds amazing!

I had a 1997 model that was just like that, but had a lacquer finish over the wood. Being open-air like that I'm sure just makes it sound even better!

Just FYI, my fave strings for the Q5's are DR Lo-Rider Nickels. However tho w/ the chechen board, DR Hi-Beams sound great if you like a little more tension. :)

Enjoy! That's one sexay beast!

3. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    I like it. I guarantee you'll never get tired of it. If Modulus decides someday to make a 7-string, I'll be first in line.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Not to derail the thread, but I think you have that backwards....the Hi-Beams have less tension, where the Lo-Riders have more. I prefer the Lo-Riders as well.

Back on topic, gorgeous bass you have there. I especially love the look of the top.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Interesting. The Hi-Beams felt a lot more firm and taught than my Lo-Rider Nickels, on the same bass. Either way, they're both great. :) You just can get away w/ the Hi-Beams b/c of the chechen board, whereas on the composite/graphite neck, you'd have clack-attack problems like no other.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, I initially bought the Lo-Riders because DRs website says they have higher tension due to the hexcore, which makes them better for slapping, harmonics, and tapping. Your experience might be different, I'm not saying you are wrong. FWIW, I have only used the SS Lo-Riders. The nickel version might be different.

7. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    Nice bass, to put it lightly. ;)

I recently recorded with an older (1990) Quantum 5 - not as nice as the Chechen one, and it has the stock graphite fingerboard, but a very tight sound. I need to use that one to record more often! :D

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    After having one w/ the chechen board, it's the perfect marriage for me. My custom Q5 has this option as well.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    sweet bass....nice rig too!

enjoy!!!

10. My Modulus is the best purchase I have ever made....musically or any other.

Fantastic looking bass!

11. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    I teach at Glens shop, and you are right he is a supper nice guy and a great bass player to boot!! So he knows what he is talking about when it comes to basses and gear and its a local business not like (GC) and (SA) so you get the support you need from a real bass player.

12. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Those Modulus basses with the wood fingerboards are hot, especially with a natural exotic wood top. Serious hippie vibe. I'd love to try one some time and A/B it with my phenolic fingerboard Q5.

13. snaverb

snaverb

Feb 19, 2007
    Atlanta, Ga
    Nice Ampeg

14. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I would love to hear some sound clips if you have any recording facilities!! looks so different from the shop pics!

[​IMG]

15. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    yeh man im considering getting a wireless for my fb4 when it gets here!!!!

sexy q5 by the way!!!!!!

16. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    Beautiful bass, I've played many basses over the years, my Quantum 6 is my favourite.

Mine has a phenolic fingerboard, the chechen fingerboard adds a nice warmth to the sound.

17. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i am and i do. it's the shure ulx-s system. it's the best shure wireless you can get without going to the pro level ones that cost thousands of dollars. works great and the sound is quite good.

18. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    hey man you got any prices, links? i am very interested as i can't stand the whole wires thing as i like to move around while playing.

19. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    thanks, it's the classic head and it is usa made. one of the advantages to having worked at guitar center for a time. got the 810 to go with it too.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021