My New MTD 535 !! It's heeeere yaaaayyyy!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 5, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    hmm.. why yes.. that is dead sexy :D
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Even though I just got a new Warwick Streamer Stage 1 about 2 hours ago, I still hate you!!! :D
    Seriously, that's beautiful!
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That'll be about enough of these "Peter got a new bass" threads for awhile. Do you realize what you are doing to me posting pics of instruments like that??:p ;)

By the way, that is a BEEEAUTIFUL bass. Congrats and all that. I would give my left..........I think you get the point. Very nice.:)
  5. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    LOL, I am not a Warwick fan, but if you let me try yours I might be a believer...your Warwick is ccchhhhooootttt!
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    sweet bass, man! one of the qualities i've always loved about the usa mtd basses is the fact that the tops don't even look like real looks like...something else...kinda hypnotic looking.
  7. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    HOLY CRAP! that is a beuitiful bass....that is my dream bass.
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    mmmm, purty. Rats! Everyone is getting new basses while I'm stuck with my old clunker. Oh well. :(

Congrats on the new bass! I know it'll fit just fine in the other beautiful Zons you have. :)
  9. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Where did you buy it from? I've been shopping around for one. I like yours alot. How does the string spacing towards the nut compare with other 5's that you have played?
  10. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    Bass Central

The string spacing is 19mm...I don't really notice any difference from my Zons which are 15mm I think.
  11. Nice burl! Purty Neck!
  12. Very nice!

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peter, that is sweet! Congratulations!:cool:
  14. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    Heh...but when you are up close to it, you see all the knots and everything Zons actually look more "fake" like that b/c of the gloss finish. This one when you are playing it and seeing it up close looks REALLY woody :)
  15. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    With the controls flat, it sounds VERY snappy, and a little too crisp (even more crisp than my Zon Sonus Customs which have almost the same electronics) I drop the treble down about half way and raise the mids, and then it sounds super. I am actually amazed at how similar to my Zons it does sound... I have been a/b'ing them all night. I still like the way my Zons play a little better, but this is by far the best wood necked bass I have played. VERY punchy and snappy, and I like that when I dig in. I barely notice the 35" neck length and find the B string no more or less tight than the 34" Zons. Neck is nice and comfortable, and while the string spacing at the bridge is wider than what I am used to, the string width starts about the same as what you see on a Zon at the nut and where I usually play, I barely notice the difference there either. The bass definitely has a hand made vibe on it whereas the Zon has a "perfection" vibe to it. Well balanced. Lots of tones. I like the bass a lot!!
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    *sniff sniff*

...why, it only seems like yesterday that I was making sure there were no smudges or prints on her, playing a farewell phrase on her, and packing her for the UPS guy to pick up...

...oh yeah, that's cuz it was just yesterday! :D

pd, hope she's livin' up to your expectations! We sure miss her 'round here...

17. Beautiful bass, Peter. That top is incredible and the color is great, too.. really brings out all the figure. Congrats!
  18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Since today is my birthday & you clearly don't like it as much as your Zon, send it my way!!!!;) :p

Congrat, that' sweet!!!!!
  19. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002