My New MTD Grendel!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sock Justice, Oct 24, 2002.

1. So, it arrived yesterday afternoon...after cutting through all of the tape, and jerking out the case, I popped it open. My first thought was "Hmm...Coral Blue means Green."

I pulled it out, dusted it off...ran through some scales...adjusted it all up...still disliked the asymetrical neck. I LOVE the sound of this thing,'s NICE! Great slap tones, great finger tones, all kinds of options.

...I think I've decided to send it back. I wasn't able to play it, or really anything before I bought it, because I live in Alaska, and we only have a few stingrays up here, in a good year, and usually not even those. So, I've played very few basses...and, maybe if it looked like I thought it would, I could grow to put up with the neck...but all shallow tendencies aside, I just don't like the way it feels. I shouldn't have to settle when paying this kind of money, right?

It's still hard to send it back, though, considering I have nothing that sounds anywhere near this good...hopefully someone can chuck some reassurance at me...this is my first bass purchase over three hundred bucks...

So, out there, would you settle for something you weren't really comfortable with, but sounded great?

P.S. Gard was AWESOME hooking me up with this, he did a great job, even though it's not exactly my thing...

Edit:pics are now down there!
  2. is there a time limit on returns? maybe you should give it a week or so if you can.
  3. Thanks Josh...

Yeah, if I had more than 48 hours to approve of it, I might have it grow on me, but I don't think I should take the chance...I don't want my first large bass purchase to be something I grow to hate/regret doing.

Thanks again.

4. I would, but they only give you 48 hours...

5. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Maybe you could send it on down to me and I'll tell you what I think of the neck ;) ...
  6. Hehe, send me $1100 and I will!

Here come some pictures!

7. Headstock...

Full Shot...

8. By the way, it's a tad more green than that in real life. I tried going different places to take the picture, but all of them came out at that color, which really isn't true to is a sweet bass, though...I just don't think it's right for me.

9. More pictures, dudes.

Different View Full...

Crazy Up-Fretboard Shot...

Pick-ups, Knobs, and switches to play with...

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    All I can say is that if it's not your thing, then it's just not your thing. It sucks that you don't have more time to spend with it, but don't comprimise. The bass is our tool, and no one can work with an unaccomodating tool. You may have to pass a fantastic sounding bass, but you'll find another that both sounds and feels fantastic.
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    that thing is just beautiful
  12. I sure hope so...but, since I live in alaska, I don't get to try anything out. I can't spend 125 smackers everytime I find something awesome on the web...yes, I know, woe is me, right? Hehe. I'm not mad about this...a bit dissapointed, maybe...I just want to find a solution to all this.

Thanks for the replys, guys.

13. WOW, what a beauty. how's that B?
  14. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    Answering your question : Unless the bass was GROSSLY uncomfortable and I couldn't get nice low action without a ton of fretbuzz, NO I wouldn't send it back. That bass is SWEET, I have played them, and the neck is something you can and will adjust to in about a week of playing it. If it sounds great, all the more reason to keep it.

15. It's TIGHT! It plays GREAT when ignoring my left hand...but, the neck just makes my hands hurt when playing.

Pd_5string: I'd love to give a week or so of a chance. Play with some other people, see how I can groove with it...but with only a 48 hour approval, it's hard. I'm thinking about keeping, and then if I still can't get used to it, I'll try to sell it here on the board. Unless I keep it, i'm losing at LEAST $125...I'm not exactly a rich kid. I had to mow lawns, for this bass...I don't have a steady job (seeing as how the grass has stopped growing here in Alaska)...

It isn't TERRIBLE, but it does kind of put a damper on the fun of playing it, you know? I'm not a gigging musician, I don't make money playing, and I know I can find something that sounds at least as good...I may just have to save up for awhile to afford something else, or used (which is what I was looking for until I stumbled upon this a few months back).

So, thanks for the input, IS a beautiful bass...once again, I'm still not 100% sure either way. I have to know by tomorrow morning, though...I have to send it out by 4 tommorrow afternoon if I want to return it, or Basscentral's trial period will run out on me.

16. that's a painful situation, man. i don't know what to tell you. i think if it were me, i'd keep it and try to adapt to it, but then again it's not me so i can't understand just how uncomfortable it is for you. well, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

gard, if you're reading this, maybe you should think about extending the return period. it would make people like him much more likely to keep the bass, i think.
  17. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    it seems like your situation (and geographic location) would dictate ordering basses from
    they have a 30 day refund period. (that's the ONLY reason i buy stuff from them).
    OK, that may not be helpful in your situation.

for what it's worth,
    i think that bass is HOT.
    i have an MTD heir 5 which i like alot.
    and i'm a huge fan of anything Mike Tobias designs.

the only reason to send it back (since you've said that you like the tone), is if you absolutely feel like you need a narrower neck (ala stingrays) or a fatter (wider profile-front to back) neck (ala warwick) for your left hand to be comfortable.
    on the other hand, if you haven't played many different types of basses, your hands probably will become accustomed to the new neck quicker than you think.
    (unless you have tiny hands or something)

just my 2 cents
  18. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    yeah, gard,
    give the kid a break.
    just think how many lawns he must have cut to buy that bass?
  19. DHC: Thanks for all the input you' far. I guess I'm just a wuss when it comes to taking the chance with keeping it. If I were to keep it, and not like it, I'd have to sell it...which might cause me to lose even more money on the deal...which means even longer of a "re-save-up" time before I can afford a bass again.

I'm actually leaning towards risking it, and giving the bass a fair shot at winning me over.

Things would be so much easier if I had a ton of money to blow, at least in this respect.

Superphat: I definitely don't need a fattter neck, such as a warwick, lik eyou least I don't think. Maybe I'd absolutely love it, I've never played P-Bass has, what I would consider, a really fat neck, and I'm not into it very much. My jackson has a thin neck, which is very flat, and I dig it quite a bit...this kind of has a bit of both, leaning more towards the chunkidge, because of the asymetrical neck. I have no doubt about this being an absolutely awesome bass...I'm just still haven't decided if it's perfect for me.

Once again, thanks for all of the input, guys...

20. I sure do like the word "input" don't I?...maybe I should've bought a thesaurus, rather than bass!

Oh, and SP, you wouldn't believe all of the manual labor jobs I did to save up!...but, hey, you do what you can with what you have, to get what you want, right?

-Again with the Daving