My 'new' MTD Heir!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Oct 22, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just received a 'like new' MTD heir from resident TB pro Michael Dimin. It's an absolutely gorgeous instrument. It amazes me that a bass with this level of craftsmanship is available at such a reasonable price, new or used. Pics of her are posted at Michael Dimin's website.

This bass sounds exactly as I'd hoped. My Peavey Cirrus is still my main girl, but I needed something that was capable of a slightly more traditional, 'old school' sound for some of the stuff I've been doing lately. The Heir delivers in spades. Funny, I had been looking for something in the Music Man ballpark, but the Heir might better be described as a Jazz with a humbucker in the bridge position. With a little bit of the neck pup dialed out, this thing growls and barks like my beloved Jazz bass only wishes it could! Makes you wonder why you don't see more instruments with this pickup configuration.

That question might be answered by the only significant shortcoming of the Heir I've found - the single coil neck pickup does hum. My music/computer room at home has at least two computers running at any giving time, and the room isn't wired to properly ground my amp. Let go of the instrument and you get some substantial noise. Knowing that clubs are likely to have some of the same suboptimal conditions, I've rigged a wire with an alligator clip that I can attach to the bridge, with the other end tucked in so that it keeps constant contact with my body -- this seems to remove all of the objectionable noise. Any other tricks/ideas for dealing with single coil noise, anyone?

Anyway, a big thanks to Michael for the opportunity to acquire this beautiful little bass. He may have parted with a bass, but at least he's found one more person who's going to say nice things about MTD every chance he gets!

2. SecretDonkey,

Thought I'd be the first to say CONGRATS, especially since I missed it yesterday!!! :) Hope you enjoy the toy as much as I do (as described in your other thread). It's pretty amazing how good things can come in inexpensive packages.

Yeah, that darm hum is annoying!!! It's especially haunted me at two gigs already. It's kinda embarrasing when you see the other band mates and sound guy look disturbed and look around the room saying things like "where's that hum coming from!"

Anyway, have fun and enjoy:D
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Heehee - thanks! I feel much better now that I've actually got a reply to my post!

4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Sorry for the late reply to this post, I just found it.
    I contacted Michael Tobias about the hum in the Heir in March and he wrote me back and said he'd look into it.

This is the message he wrote me in September.

The hum cancelling neck pick up should be in all the new deliveries...I have
    several here now as extras...still no samples I am hoping to have them by
    the January NAMM show.

Michael Tobias, Luthier
    MTD (Michael Tobias Design)
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ya brat!!!

:D ;)